We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Hello

We visited Saariselka in early December for 4 nights on a Santa break and totally fell in love with the area. We are planning on returning in Jan/Feb next year but for a week this time. Our main priority is to stay in a log cabin. We aren't keen on package holidays -welcome meetings and structured activities etc and keen to plan our own so I've looked at booking DIY and booking Panimo cabins directly. I just have a few questions please.

1- Are the Panimo cabins the ones on the fell at the side of the toboggan run?

2- Are these the same 3* and 4* cabins which you are allocated if you book through Inghams?

3- The long journey and transfer in Helsinki is slightly off putting if we go DIY, particularly as we have a 5 year old and have a long journey to the airport at this side too. Has anyone done this DIY and booked cabins directly?

4 - In view of this we've also looked at Inghams as price wise isn't that much different. Their brochure says cabins are 500-900m out of the village it doesn't say exactly where they are-are these the same cabins next to the toboggan run?

5- When I read the Espirit brochure last year I remember reading about families sharing cabins. This is definitely something we do not want. There is nothing about this in Ingham's brochure or on the Panimo website .Please can someone confirm that each family/group is allocated its own cabin.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Hi Anne, here they are. The address is Suopunkitie 3 http://goo.gl/maps/LDrpy

Yes they are at the side of the Kaunispää fell where the toboggan run is as well.

This type of cabins are never shared, they will be all yours. The only ones I know with sharing are apartments (not cabins) that can have a sauna or a room with a fireplace etc. for all of the guests. It that case you would still have your own private apartment.

I hope someone can answer the rest of your questions.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Hi

We use Inghams when we travel to Sarriselka now. We only use them to get to the resort and back, saves all the hassle of trying to get there yourself. We don't go to any meetings and we don't ski (even though they are a ski company).

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Thanks Yuke,that's very helpful. It's good to know we don't have to share!! Do you know if the 3 star & 4 star are both there and what the differences are. I'd love to stay on the fell next to the toboggan run-we spent so much time there,it was great fun!!

Thanks kazkins-do you stay in the log cabins? Not having to go to the welcome meeting would be fantastic- I thought they may make you go to get your accommodation key or something!!

Do you hire your thermal suits via Inghams when booking or just book them directly with Lapkand safaris or another provider? We don't ski either though may book lessons for my son though cando that directly with the ski school. If there is anything else you can think of that would be useful I'd be grateful.

Many thanks

Anne

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

It looks like the Panimo cabins on Suopunkitie 3 are the Inghams 3-Star. There are 10 of them and they are all similar as far as I can tell.

The Inghams 4-Star is something else, they look newer. Based on the limited information they give I have no idea where they are located. It would be nice for their clients if the travel agents would include cabin names or addresses in their descriptions. I guess the only way is to ask the address from Inghams.

If you would go for DIY you would have at least one huge benefit. You could browse hundreds of choices on Saariselkä central booking site and check the pictures, floor plans, ratings and locations... Isn't there any tour operator who would offer flight only deals, with a direct flight to Ivalo??

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

You get your key when you are dropped off at your accommodation. We only stay in log cabins, we like being away from everyone!

We take our own ski clothes (got them all in TK Maxx) and plenty of layers so you have a choice of warmth. We've found the temperature can vary quite a lot during a week! You can hire thermal suits but we've never felt the need. If you decide to go on any trips then thermal suits are usually provided.

You can book trips and ski lessons easily enough when you are in the resort. You can compare prices via the Saariselka.fi website to see how they compare with Inghams.

You won't need to buy a toboggan, there are always some supplied with your cabin and plenty at the bottom of the run. You WILL need to take them to the top of the run as there aren't any there, as we found out much to our dismay! It's cheap to get the bus to the top of the fell so you can toboggan the whole way down. I'm not sure how far up it you've been?

Mentioned in this post
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Thanks Yuke,I'll book the 3 star ones then as now definitely know where they are and won't have to share! You've been really helpful,thank you.

No there are no UK tour operators who offer flight only to Ivalo,or even any Lapland resort. The only option for flight only is to change in Helsinki which I wouldn't mind doing if it was much cheaper and I didn't have such a long journey at this side.

Kazkins-thanks for the info. I will hire the thermal suits as found them fantastic especially as I intend going out again at night on Northern Lights watch!! We went to the top of the run every day-it was great fun! Even walked up one night too which was so peaceful.THanks for your help

Edited: 28 December 2013, 18:56
Mentioned in this post
Lapland
Lapland
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

"3- The long journey and transfer in Helsinki is slightly off putting if we go DIY, particularly as we have a 5 year old and have a long journey to the airport at this side too"

Well, it works the same the other way too. We from northern parts of Finland couldn't go anywhere, if taking a connecting flight in Helsinki was a problem... :) It's not a problem. It's still a relativel small, easy to navigate and a very well organized airport.

Only off putting part of Helsinki airport is connections to Helsinki city center. You would need several hours of layover time to comfortably visit the city center. But even that is getting better after the new train route is finished.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Thanks PasiRoi

The transfer in itself doesn't bother me-it's just the times of the flights and waiting plus my journey time from Scotland to England before we even leave Manchester will mean it's about a 24 hour journey for us. We will probably end up with a very grumpy 5 year old once we got to Saariselka!! If we were staying 2 weeks we would DIY but think for a week,on balance,that it's quicker to fly with inghams to Kittila then get the transfer coach to Saariselka.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

"my journey time from Scotland to England before we even leave Manchester will mean it's about a 24 hour journey for us"

I know. That's the problem going DIY, and it's exactly the same for us.. :) But still I wouldn't ever consider a package tour unless the price is unbeatable.

I would suggest you look for Finnair or Norwegian flights as they usually connect quite well to our domestic flights.

Or if you are looking for the cheapest option, like I usually do, just forget you can do the journey in one day. Take it more relaxed and have a good one night layover. It also gives you more options to look for the cheapest flights.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saariselka Log Cabins - Inghams or DIY?

Finnair seems to release some flight offers on the 2nd of January, so probably worth to wait for a while to see what they are... Probably won't have travel time further than the coming summer, but will give you an idea what sort of prices you might expect. In a week long holiday it is sometimes difficult to make huge savings with DIY, but it's worthwhile to check always. Scheduled flights can usually be bought 360 days ahead at the max, so wait a while before making any decisions.