We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Went with Inghams and had a great time so just ask if there's anything you need to know.

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Hi Joanne

Glad you had a great time. We're looking to book with Inghams for a week next Feb. Did you book your thermal suits directly with Inghams? If so, at what point do you get them? When is the welcome meeting? How is the transfer from Kittila?Many thanks Anne

Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Hi, yes we booked our suits and boots through Inghams, we also got gloves and hats from them too. Everything was toasty warm. We collected them from a company called Top Safari in the middle of the village the morning after we arrived, so you'd need something warm for the walk there. Only 5 mins from Holiday Club where we stayed though. We wore layers underneath - mostly Aldi - and we were fine. Balaclavas were necessary most days though. Top Safari do lots of the excursions and were very good.

Transfer from Kitilla was fine, the coach was comfortable and we we given an info pack to look through but 3 hours is a long time..we had been up at 3 am to catch the flight so we were exhausted. The kids did sleep a bit too. We went to Saariselka 5 years ago and flew to Ivalo airport with Iglu and that transfer was much shorter so if we go again i would try for a closer airport just because of the time it took from Kitilla. There is a little service station where you stop for a bit which breaks the journey up.

The welcome meeting was on the second day at 4 pm. The info was good but it did go on a long time. We had left our kids in the hotel so we were hoping it would be quite short (the kids are teenagers by the way, not toddlers, before anyone calls Social Services!) but that was our own fault. However 2 hours is a bit excessive! We had been before so we did know where stuff was etc, we just wanted to book a couple of things. However if you haven't been before it would be useful.

We had a wonderful time and I've got serious post- holiday blues now we're back!

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Club Saariselka
Holiday Club Saariselka
591 Reviews
Saariselka, Finland
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Thanks Joanne.

We stayed earlier in the month with Thomsons and fell in love with Saariselka so looking to go for a week next time .Our options are DIY but that involves a flight change in Helsinki or Inghams. I don't want to attend the welcome meeting as will be booking everything directly-I just wasn't sure if you got thermal suits here .I think I'll just book suits etc directly through Lapland Safaris so we'll be able to pick them up on the afternoon/evening we arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Lapland
Lapland
Finland
Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

How was the weather? I keep reading that it is unusually warm this year and have in my head that the snow is going to be lacking! We fly to pyha on Sunday

Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Hi there...yes it was unusually warm for Lapland but there was still plenty of snow. It hovered around -2 degrees while we were there. Warmest was just below zero, coldest day was -10, so snow still falling most of each day. Some trees had no snow on towards the end of the week but on the ground the snow is so deep - I'd say a metre or so - that it would have to be warm for a long time to melt it. The weather changes very quickly though...apparently the week before last it was -30!

I wouldn't worry, it was so unusual for it to be so warm apparently...sure it will be back to normal before long.

Mentioned in this post
Lapland
Lapland
Finland
Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Thank you, that's put my mind at rest!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Hi we are looking at booking a holiday next December with Thomson's to Saariselka and probably the Holiday Club Resort.Could anyone tell me the prices of meals and drinks and where is best to eat.I am wondering whether to go half board which works out at about £19 per person which seems a lot.Doubt we would like traditional food, more like pizza,pasta and steak.Can anyone recommend any good places?.Also is it best to book trips before you go or when you get there.Is there a local bus to the toboggan run and ski slope.Thanks for any advice, Rosie

Mentioned in this post
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Holiday Club Saariselka
Holiday Club Saariselka
591 Reviews
Saariselka, Finland
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Please could you tell me where you are seeing availability for your trip am I looking the wrong place?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Hi i was just looking on the Thomsons web page-- a 3 night 4 day stay, prices from £622 TO £800 plus, most of the dates are early december and the later ones mostly saying booked.I think that seems a bit odd to be booked already--then it does say more rooms maybe released.I was hoping to go in the last week of the school term.Rosie

Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Saariselka and happy to answer questions

Thanks Rosie that's were I have been looking my children break up on the 19th I can see one flight with thomsons on the 17th I didn't really want to take them out of school (scared) but think it would be worth it - happy new year Sarah