We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing rental cost?

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing rental cost?

I'm travelling independently having booked at the last minute & wondered what the score was re clothes. I realise that if I do excursions the companies will lend me extra clothing but will standard skiing kit be sufficiently warm (if layered) for wandering around town and for aurora watching (if the conditions permit)? I'm a keen photographer so I am likely to want to be out for as long possible. Or should I consider renting extra clothes in the resort and if so, how much is that likely to cost? Is there anything extra I should buy in the UK (I already have hats, scarves, gloves, ski trousers/jacket) before I go? I had planned to wear hiking boots with two layers of socks. Is that sufficient?

I'd be grateful for any tips you could give me. Thanks

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing rental cost?

your ski stuff will be fine - have a base, mid and outer layer, hats, gloves, scarf etc, warm boots and maybe an additional mid-layer if you are going to be out and about

www.lapland.fruitbandit.com will tell you what you need to take

yorkshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing rental cost?

It was -28c and we had base layer micro fleece and ski coat and snow boots. head balaclava. I would consider hotties hand warmers and mittens they are warmer than gloves if you are to sit outside for long periods. I had hiking boots and they would not be suitable in my opinion if it drops below -20c which it did often. I bought mine Mountain warehouse extreme boots they were great .

We had a Cannon camera and it would not work when exposed to the cold after minute or so and we thought we had taken pics only to find we had not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. What kind of Cannon camera did you have & what were you storing it in?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Dont know model as its daughters but i know around £400 plus. Its was in a decent case soft shell fairly padded. The Camera function okay straight out the case but then failed around 60 secs maybe less maybe more, i actually think the shutter was sticking, but im only guessing as i know nothing about cameras.

The weather was colder than normal we were informed. I heard from a couple they walked to a tent type hut away from light pollution that had a fire open for all free n sat drank and took it in turns to go outside to check for the northern lights but none appeared our week.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing rental cost?

If it's in OK condition cameras shouldn't mind cold too much. I wouldn't (and won't) keep my cameras warm inside a jacket. Snow melts on a warm camera body, constant temperature changes etc. A simple camera bag or a backpack is good enough.

But have a couple of spare and fresh batteries, fully charged, and keep those warm inside a pocket. When temperatures drop near -20C especially old batteries can lose capacity quickly. Fresh batteries lose capacity too, but they have more to start with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I should probably make a separate post for this but does anyone know of a good vantage point from which to view the lights? I gather there is quite a dark spot about 1 km outside of the town. Is there some kind of shelter there to keep warm while I wait?!

Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Hi yes there is a little cabin on the aurora path, where you could sit, and i think you,can light a fire there too. The aurora path has reflective markers on posts and it starts just by the side of the chapel. It is a lovely walk and we went down it quite a lot.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Thank you that is very helpful and good to know.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Maps for Saariselkä showing shelters and huts around the area:

http://www.saariselka.fi/content/maps

And info and a pdf map about the Aurora trail:

saariselka.fi/content/news/aurora-trail-in-s…

saariselka.com/tiedostopankki/…view

Doesn't really matter which direction you go, one kilometer from the village and you will be in the dark... :) But if not interested in skiing or snowshoeing, a marked walking path of course nicer.

Huts and shelters in general are free to use. You are oly expected to behave in in good manner, and leave the place in the same condition - if not even tidier - as it was when you arrived. Firewood might be provided free also. If there is fire wood, it's free to use. A knife and lighter or matches you should bring yourself.

Firewood shouldn't be wasted. There will be others coming also after you. But you can make a good fire to have some hot drinks, sausages and warm yourselves. There might be an axe and a chopping block, so you can chop some more. It's a good habit if there is.

If firewood isn't provided (ask your tourist info), readily chopped blocks should be on sale in gas stations and in some markets. Quite pricy compared if you purchase in larger quantities, but for a single campfire the cost not too much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing rental cost?

Thanks for the maps and the explanation about the huts. It's very helpful.