We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

I am planning my wife's b'day surprise in January 2015. I'd like us to spend upto 2 nights at the famous glass igloos at Kakslauttanen in the hopes of Northern Lights. It will be out first time visiting Finland so want to spend upto 3-4 days more in the country and that is where I can really use help with suggested itineraries. We are flying in from The Netherlands. Not sure what are suggested places to stay, cities to visit and things to do in Lapland. I dont want to spend much time in travel and would like to be on budget (ofcourse, after Kakslauttanen :)).

Is visiting Helsinki before or after Kakslauttanen a practical idea? Also, is there a place to look for any packages/flight discounts that I can look for such an itinerary?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

For Kakslauttanen you'll need to fly to IVL. The practical place to visit apart from Saariselkä would be Helsinki. Before or after depending on your flight schedules.

Tons of info on both snow related activities in Saariselkä and places to visit in Helsinki on this forum. Do note that you'll need quite a bit of luck to catch aurorae.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Thanks a lot polarbearfin. You sounded like you meant northern lights may not be that common in January. Is that so?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Statistically in Saariselkä maybe every second night aurorae would be visible if the sky is clear.

Trip based solely on aurorae watching is at high risk.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Makes sense. Would you recommend any other regions where probability of seeing the lights is higher?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Hmm, maybe Svalbard. The closer to the North Pole, the better. Plus you'll need clear skies to observe the phenomenon, so a flying vessel above potential clouds would solve the problem. Although maybe not too feasible.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

Excuse me, Polarbearfin, but that`s information is totally wrong!!

When the Aurora activity is very quiet then you maybe will see it on the north pole, since the band of the NL are follow the magnetic field as a oval circle around the North Pole, so therefore Tromsø and Alta, Arctic Norway is a perfect place to be for the chase.

But, also at Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Greenland, Canada, Alaska and Russia.

Please check this picture of the circle of the Aurora band - http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/gif/pmapN.gif

Please follow it from day to day and you will see how it`s change, all info you will find on http://www.spaceweather.com

But, the best location for the Northern lights, is where the sky are clear... so, it`s a question of good luck and little gambling... happy chasing..;)

Edited: 30 July 2014, 12:06
7. Re: Need suggestions for things to do around Kakslauttanen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16