We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which mountain with the best view?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
which mountain with the best view?

Hi,

staying in Appenzell during summer for one night I wonder which of the following is better view (and better cable car experience) as taking into account also the effort for getting there (by car). I know there is height differences but would like to know which one is better experience (just going up with cable car, staying a little bit and going down- no hiking).

1. Santis - at least 30 minutes of driving from Appenzell village according to google maps. The last part of the road is not "yellow" but "white" which makes me a little nervous about difficulties with the car (regular not 4x4). Is the road wide enough for two cars? steep? curves?

2. Kronberg - at least ten minutes of driving, only on "yellow" road.

3. Wasserauen-Ebenalp at least ten minutes of driving, only on "yellow" road.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which mountain with the best view?

Hi michel d

My preference in this area is Säntis above Schwägalp.

pore

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which mountain with the best view?

1. No problem, the road is very good with even enough space for twobig busses. Except people living on very remote farms nobody needs here a 4x4, specially not im summer.

The Saentis is a very impressive mountain with everywhere high rocks, maybe not the best place for people with acrophobia, but for all others great. On days with good weather you can see very far places many high peaks of the alps and lake Constance

The other two offer nice view as well, but a bit less far. There are less rocks and more meadows and good hiking options.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which mountain with the best view?

http://www.ebenalp.ch/de/sommer/nebelmeer

are the first two pictures reflects what can usually be seen from ebenalp? Do you know which hour of day (in June)?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which mountain with the best view?

I guess the first picture is from wildkirchli about a 30 min walk downhill from the top. The "sea of fog" is an exception is summer, but if you have luck you can see it like that. If there is fog, you can see the sea of fog from every mountain which is high enough. Sunset is very late in June, I would expect you would have to wait until about 9 pm, when no cable car is running to bring you back.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which mountain with the best view?

Ebenalp with a walk down to the Wildkirchli Caverns and Chalet Aescher and the view on the mountains opposite and lake Seealp is something of the best Switzerland has to offer to photographers.

http://www.aescher-ai.ch/

The panorama is so beautiful that it has been chosen as lable of the famous mountain herb bitter liqeur "Appenzeller"

t3.gstatic.com/images…

6. Re: which mountain with the best view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Appenzell