We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ebenalp to Seealpsee

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Ebenalp to Seealpsee

I understand that there is a hiking trail from Ebenalp to Seealpsee and wish to have advice on the following questions:

(a) How long does it take and is it very demanding, well marked?

(b) How long does it take to walk from Seealpsee back to Wasserauen?

(c) I am going to do it in September, what will the weather be like, rain?

Appreciate your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Wasserauen
Wasserauen
Canton of Appenzell, Switzerland
6 replies to this topic
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

This may help. We did it a decade ago and do not remember having any problems with the descent. However our muscles suffered from it the day after! Early September can often be sunny and warm but it can rain at any time so take waterproofs and layers of warm clothing.

www.ebenalp.ch/de/sommer/wanderkarte/route-8

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

Thank you, Swissaholic. I hope we can manage the downhill slope which seems to be rather steep and demanding. Otherwise, we can walk down to see Wildkirchli then return to take the cable car down to Wasserauren, then do a return trip to Seealpsee. If that is the case, how long would it take?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

www.seealpsee.ch/anfahrt.html

According to this - 'The mountain inn Seealpsee can be reached only on foot from Wasserauen a well maintained hiking trail in about 50 minutes.'

Mentioned in this post
Wasserauen
Wasserauen
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

Thanks again. I see what it means by "only on foot from Wasserauen". That means no car or any transport. As it is an inn, guests may expect transport right to the front door. So that piece of information is also useful. The other link said 2 hours from Ebenalp top to Wasserauen. Deducting 50 min as said here, the downhill track takes 70 min.

Mentioned in this post
Wasserauen
Wasserauen
Iqaluit
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

i just did this very walk today with my kids age 7 and 10.

Here are my responses to your questions based on my experience. I am a tourist visiting Appenzell for the first time.

The walk from Ebenalp to Seealpsee, via Wildkirch and caves took us about two hours, including stops in the caves etc. We had just finished a two hour hike on another trail that had a big climb so we were going slower and made my knees feel it maybe more than others.

Finding the trail is easy and once on it you will not get lost.

The trail is mainly downhill and not particularly strenuous. About two thirds of it is in the forest which was nice on a hot day.

however, as the signs clearly state,

this as a mountain trail...it is not a walking path ..long stretches are over roots, rocks and steep roughly carved steps.hard on the knees and ankles and I cannot imagine doing it without hiking boots or sturdy shoes.although plenty were. I also wished I had hiking poles in some places. In many parts, wire bannisters were in place to hang on to.

At the bottom of the trail , when you come out of the forest, the trail meets a wide path ..go to the right abiut 10 minutes to the lake. Cant miss it.

To walk back to Wasseraen from the lake the lake is marked 40 minutes but thats generous. While basically a narrow road, it is steeply downhill in parts and covered with loose gravel ..a combination that made several people, including my daughter and I who were rushing it, fall on our butts. Take it slow in the gravelly parts.

Great walk, beautiful lake and mountain vistas. Enjoy.

Love the Appenzell area.

Iqaluit
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ebenalp to Seealpsee

SORRY

i need to amend my post ... The two hour time I stated for our walk from Ebenalp to Seealpsee also included a 15-20. minute refreshment stop so consider that .

Reply to: Ebenalp to Seealpsee
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Appenzell