We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protoras Excursions

Braintree, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Protoras Excursions

Hi all

My Wife and i are off to Protaras in June and was wondering if anyone can reccomend any trips to go on.

Are there any water parks close?

Any animal parks?

Any trip you would like to reccomend would be much appreciatted.

Cheers

Phil

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Protoras Excursions

There is a small water park in Protaras but a much bigger and better one at Ayia Napa. Regular bus service from Protaras and it is the last stop in Ayia Napa - well worth doing.

Trip to the Troodos mountains on an organised 4 x 4 off road safari is a must! These can be booked at any of the travel bureaus in Protaras. Converted land rovers seating up to 10 people. Price should be about 28CYP (but now Euro) including excellent meze lunch, stopping off at Cypriot villages and on to the top of Mount Olympus. Pick up at hotels usually 7.30ish and back home for 5ish. A tiring day but you really do get to see part of Cyprus that is inaccessible to anything other than a donkey. Stunning views. One of the most memorable trips I have ever done in Cyprus.

Kykkos monastery which is usually included in the safari trip.

Camel park disappointing - cannot recommend it, nor is the Sunday market in Larnaca - not typical Cypriot goods and quite tatty.

Trip to Nicosia well worth doing. If you are hiring a car will take you about hour & half & a very straight run but there are organised coach trips. Nicosia is much hotter than the coastal regions so remember to take water.

Plenty of boat trips in Protaras itself but the best one is the Yellow Boat which leaves from Pernera harbour but you must book this in advance as it gets booked up daily from May until October. Takes you up as far as Famagusta and back down to Cape Greko for wonderful swimming in crystal clear waters - includes sandwich lunch and very informative couple (Andreas & Laura)who own the boat - accomodates 38 people. Leaves the harbour at 10.30 & if you decide to do this trip get there at 9.30 so you can get the best front seats on the boat.

Konnos Bay which is between Protaras & Ayia Napa - stunning bay which is a must to visit for the day. Beautiful swimming, water sports if you want them and a little cafe on the hillside. Wonderful banana shaped sunbeds which float on the sea. You can either drive (5 minutes out of Protaras heading toward Ayia Napa) or take a taxi which will collect you at the end of the day. A landmark to look for is the Grecian Park Hotel and the bay is directly beneath this.

Paralimni - 20 minute drive or taxi out of Protaras or there is a regular half hour bus service. Lovely typical Cypriot village/town where you can get good souveniers and a nice lunch.

Famagusta View Point where you can look over the buffer zone to the north and learn a lot about the history of this divided island.

If you do hire a car it is worth travelling over to the western side of the island toward Paphos - beaches not as good as the eastern side of the island but a lovely coastal drive up to the Akamas peninsular. East to west will take you about two and a half hours - motorway and easily accessible.

Limassol is very cosmopolitan although I intend visiting the old part hopefully this year.

There are trips across the border to the north of Cyprus but I haven't done these as I have a principled husband who won't cross the border but I understand from other people who have done them that the north is quite spectacular.

If you want any more info please feel free to send me a private message and I'll respond asap.

Kath

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protoras Excursions

You can also visit the Magic Dancing Waters show in the heart of Protaras. Great Show..and the Ocean Aquarium also in Protaras. A trip trip to the Troodos mountains would be a good choice for spending a day :p have fun enjoy cyprus philip..

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
661 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Protoras Excursions

On the strip almost opposite Sunrise Beach hotel, there is a shop which does car hire & day trips. We did a half day trip to Farmagusta. Picked up about 8.30 am & back by 1ish. We travelled in a small coach, which had a local driver, he had been living in Farmagusta aged 13 when the Turks invaded. We saw the abandoned houses & had a short time to potter around & have refreshments, then we went to the beach area where the abandoned & bombed out hotels are, the old beach umbrellas & loungers from the 70's are still there. There were Turkish soldiers on the hotel balconies too, our driver warned us not to take photos !! Well worth it & all of the excursions are a lot cheaper than those from tour reps.

If you don't hire a car there are regular buses to Ayia Napa & Paralimni, not much there except for a nice open square with a church & cafes & the smallest M & S in the world.

manchester
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Protoras Excursions

hi there, there is a huge wayer park in the middle of protaras, im going to protaras this year in june, i have read loads of reviews and there meant to quite a lot of day trips out of the island.

stacey

Braintree, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Protoras Excursions

cheers all for your suggestions i have no doubt i will have a great holiday.

phil

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Protoras Excursions

Phil,

I would take the Kerinya / Famagusta trip, it's a must. There was a new Kerinya by night trip last summer which was fantastic. The North is beautifull. The Ayia Napa Waterpark is great, don't bother with the Protaras waterpark, or the Zoo!

The Troodos are a bit of a let down & we found the waterfalls really dissapointing!

There are numerous boat trips along the coast. The catamarans at one end and the Raptor fast boat trip at the other. It depends on what you want. The catamaran is around CY40 (Euro now) for a chill out day, the Ayia Trias & Yellow boat are 'pack em on cheap' type trips, taking 30 -50 per boat around CY13, and the Raptor boat trip is around CY25 for a thrilling ride that goes right round to Nissi beach past Ayia Napa. All provide eats, drinks and swim stops, but most dont go past Cape Greko.

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Protoras Excursions

Hi Phil,

Don't know what you're looking for in a trip, but last summer we went to Protaras and took a day's catamaran trip. It was so relaxing and in August the breeze was very welcome! The boat left from Golden Beach just outside Protaras and sailed up towards Famagusta then back to Cape Greco. We stopped a couple of times for a swim and lunch was provided. It was one of the best days out I've ever had on holiday. The boat provided snorkel equipment and life jackets if you wanted them, along with a running comentary in the history of the area. The crew were English / South African and Australian. The lunch was hot food (meze) and there was a bar on the boat.

Can't remember the name of the company but I think if was called Lazy days Cruise, we booked through the tour operator (First Choice) so it shouldn't be difficult to track down if you're interested.

Cyprus
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Protoras Excursions

The Raptor Boat Trip from the Golden Coast Harbour in Protaras was terrific. We went to the border and saw the Ghost Town of Famagusta. We then went all along the coast into all the bays etc, saw the undersea walkers!, cliff jumping and the bungee jumping at Nissi beach! The other boats were much slower so they only went half way. We went right around Cape Greko where it is unspoilt and the trip was exciting. We had a swimming stop where we borrowed masks and were given bread to feed the fish!!!! we had free drinks and crisps and a really fast ride back to the harbour! Fantastic

London
Level Contributor
245 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Protoras Excursions

Hey! We went to the water park in Ayia Napa - it was a really nice day out! We drove but it is possible to get taxi/coach. Even if your not a big fan of water slides, it's still really nice to just relax :) I would get there early to get a sunbed as we have been there twice and it has been quite busy. Hope you have fun :)

10. Re: Protoras Excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations