We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos Protaras area

antrim
13 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos Protaras area

Hi

Off to Protatas end of June, really looking forward to it but my only worry is the presence of mossies! I take quite a bad reaction to a bite and wonder should i be worried?

thanx any info would be greatly appreciated!

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

hi there

we,r off 29 june to penera, we have previously been to protaras the same date and i have to say its one of the only places i,ve not had any bites! the worst place for me was majorca! i do use the gel protection though and find this the best form of control after trying almost all others. bb61

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

Hello there, I am also off to Protaras on the 29th June - very excited!!

I can absolutely recommend the super strength Jungle Formula, I went to Crete last year and the mozzies were everywhere and everyone else got bitten alive but they didn't touch me at all. I have been to other countries and used other repellents but i still get bitten but with the jungle formula not one so would say try it if you haven't already.

A freind of mind swears by two things eating lots of marmite when you are on holiday apparantly something in it - maybe b6 vitamin?? repells the little buggers and she always buys these special band things and wears one around her wrist and the other on her ankle and they seem to do the trick for her. I don't think they are very expensive, literally a couple of pounds so maybe worth a try too.

Hope you enjoy your holiday and stay as bite free as poss!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

Ive only been biten twice in the 8 times ive been to Protaras

South Kensington...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

hello

We have been to Protaris 3 times - just got back on 29/5; no mossies!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

Hi,

This thread may be of interest:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190384-i9212-k199…

Kellywelly - it's Vit B1; it's got thiamine in it which is a natural repellant; works for me : )

Regards

Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

Hi boyce5,

I too suffer with a bad reaction from the dreaded mossies! Last year we were in Pernera twice, at the end of July and again in October. I used the Jungle Formula and took vitamin b complex tablets and I am happy to say that I didn't get one bite !

The mossies will be there, so best take some spray and give the vit b complex a try - it can't make it any worse!

Main thing though is to enjoy your holiday - don't let the mossies get you down!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

The mossies were already there in May although I only received one bite and I am generally mossie bait. Spray yourself with Autan or something similar and try to keep areas prone to bites covered at night. There is nothing worse than a mossie bite on the ankle. You can buy little pens which you dab on if you are unlucky enough to get bitten - they sting but they do seem to work.

england
Level Contributor
21 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

there are a few about we have just returned and i got bitten at night.

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

We returned on Sunday. There are mozzies about but I only got bit once. Use Autan and we had a jungle forumula plug in for the room.

wigan
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos Protaras area

Haya,

Got back from Protaras 2 weeks ago. I was the only one out of 8 people to get bitten and only 4 times in 2 wk...

Thats not bad as I once got eaten alive in Corfu (30+ bites, ouch!)

The weather is hotting up too- you'll have a fab time!

Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations