We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, UK
7 posts
Save Topic
Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi all,

I am new to this site and i am very keen to move away from the UK for a better quality of lifestyle for my family. We are looking to move in 2010 or 2011 (V.latest) The preferred choice of country for myself and my partner is Cyprus, we have been to the famagusta area and fell in love with the place!

However, across one of the books i have been reading it states that we need 30.000 Euros in our bank and need to prove this by bank statements before we can apply for a permit to reside and work within Cyprus. Is this true or are there certain ways around it? I am obviously aware i will need to have money to support my family but i believe that 30.000 Euros is a little extreme if we are working

Basically, if possible our plan is to find work before making the move out there (we will visit employers etc,etc before moving lock, stock and barrel!), Find a fairly cheap 2 bed apartment to rent and take it from there for 12-18 months and see if we would like to stay on a more 'permanant' basis.

Any infomation regarding moving/jobs/childcare/things to consider is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks all for ready, i look forward to your answers

Trev & Family

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi Trev and welcome to TA. I've read this and your other posts enquiring about jobs in Protaras and child benefits etc. To be quite frank, I think you are looking for far more info than anyone on this holiday forum would be able to answer you fully and with any authority.

I believe the eastern side of the island is a ghost town after October. Paphos is a much more year round resort, but even so I would imagine you'd be competing for the largely service sector jobs with the many eastern Europeans workers.

Perhaps Leica with his vast knowledge of the area will be able to enlighten you or try posting on an a mostly ex-pats forum such as cyprusliving.org/phpbb/nfphpbb/viewforum.php…

I wish you well Trev, and good luck with the vast amount of research you'll obviously have to undertake.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi Trev,

I've sent you a PM with the web site for eastern Cyprus - you should get all the answers you need on there. You could also log on to www.cyprusliving.org - based on the Paphos side of the island but again you can obtain a mine of information from it.

Good luck

Birmingham, UK
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far ... Very helpful!!

Any more information very much gratefully recieved

Trev & Family

Cyprus
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi Trev,

Visit the forums mentioned for advice from folks already living in Cyprus. What I can tell you now though is that when I applied to reside and work in Cyprus I was not asked to prove income/savings and as far as I know, you don't have to do it now either. Possibly if you are retired you may have to so that you can show you will not be a burden on the state.

I moved to Limassol 5 years ago and don't regret a single moment.

Good luck, do your research and think carefully about where you want to live. Famagusta area is lovely but there are better job opportunities in Limassol, Nicosia and Larnaca. You are being sensible by renting first.

Louise

Birmingham, UK
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi Louise,

Im glad to her your having a great time and not regretting a minute of it!

What job opp's are there in the areas mentioned?

Would it be fairly straight forward to get a retail job within a shop/supermaket or department store?

Also, what would you say the minumum wage to take home would be after all deductions?

Many Thanks

Trev & Family

Cyprus
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi Trev,

There is no minimum wage legislation here apart from for certain occupations. I'll be honest, wages are poor. Sometimes I wonder how we manage!

If you don't speak Greek it will be difficult (though not impossible) to find employment. Shops, supermarkets will almost always want Greek speakers, same for banks, government offices etc etc.

Limassol has a lot of off shore, investment and shipping companies so there are always jobs advertised for these. Also, as Limassol is an all year round holiday resort as well as a working city, there is the chance of hotel or tour op jobs.

You have to come and see for yourself, buy the local papers and ask around. I have had four jobs while I have been here, three I found by applying in the usual way and one by word of mouth.

Louise

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

www.easterncyprus.com/directory/index.php is the site that covers the Famagusta area of Cyprus, full of people who have moved, are moving, work, live, holiday there.... you may get much more informed answers regarding your questions on there !

Steve

northampton
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi trevor

we moved out there in 2008. We rented an apartment, but could not find work at all tried everything. In the end we had to go back to England in the December. Please think seriously before moving, jobs are not easy to come by especially if you do not speak greek. I dont want to put you off you maybe lucky and find a job. We have bought a property out there and hope to return sometime in the future to live but only if we can secure work out there first.

I hope your move goes well.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

Hi

I moved to Cyprus with my wife last July, I was retired but I had to prove to the Cypriot authorities that we had sufficient permanent income to live, I do not remember having to show any proof of savings but we bought a house before we actually moved so had a capital stake in Cyprus and we did to have proof of that for inspection.

What you are thinking about is high risk for you and will need very careful research. In a previous job I worked for a charity and sadly both the charity with related charities were involved in repatriating those who failed to establish themselves here. I accept that some were due to age and health but there were those who were young and with few salable skills. There are specific skills that are wanted here.

But this is not the best site for advice I would suggest http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/ which has an active Cyprus forum plus the ones above and there are others.

We made several visits before taking the decision and at all times of the year, where I am is very hot at present but we had snow on the ground at the end of December, there is full gas central heating and a wood burning stove in the house plus air-conditioning. During the time we were looking for houses we met more than one couple who had not realised the contrast in the weather as they had only visited in summer.

If you decide to come best of luck.

10. Re: Help regarding move to Cyprus 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Protaras