We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

The new Larnaca Airport building is scheduled to open 7th Nov 2009 with Cyprus Airways and Easyjet flights. Other airlines are to move over the next 10 days.

I have been there as a test passenger and although work is still in progress on the fitting out it was clear the major engineering looks finished. It is very much larger than the previous one, some 4 times larger overall.

There are now 16 airbridges to connect to the planes so in most cases the bus ride is over! You leave the aircraft and go along a walkway at ground level to passport control and the baggage hall and emerge into a much larger arrivals area which looks well organised with signs to the tour coach area with its own level exit to the coach park, hire cars and those being met by friends etc and who then go up to the car park. When you leave the airport you can go directly to the motorway from the car park exit.

On departure it is straight off the motorway into the car parks etc which are at the departure level, effectively the first floor of the building. The check in area is much larger with 67 counters plus self check-in kiosks. Again more security check points are there, then through to more shops and eating places than in the old building. Most departure gates are at the side of a large open seating area, totally unlike the old airport. Plenty of toilets are also there.

Testing with volunteers has been in progress for some time and that involved in my case checking in with a large number of other volunteers at the same time but for several different flights, each of us were issued with 2 weighted cases to check-in and then all the way through to the departure gate. Some had extra roles such as to lose things, become ill and in my case having passed through to the airbridge for my first flight then following the transfer passenger route right through to going through the gate to the aircraft walkway for my second flight.

I wish them well for the opening and this new terminal will make entering and leaving Cyprus a rather better experience than the present long serving terminal.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

Thats great news. Paphos airport is much improved and now Larnaca. I must admit I have never flown to Larnaca but maybe we should consider this now as it sounds like it will be a great airport.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

Am I the only one who will miss the old airport. Although departures was always a nightmare I've never had any problems with arrivals and I loved the little bus trip. I suppose its progress but with dwindling tourist numbers is it going to be used to its full capacity?

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

the new capacity at Larnaca will more than double from its current 3.2 million pax a year to 7.5 million!

lets hope we can attract that many new visitors to the island to make full use of it!

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

I couldn't think anyone would miss the old Terminal, especially the looooong queues on Wednesdays and Sundays. Sure looking forward to the smooth operation of the New Terminal. I can assure you everyone working there is doing its best to deliver a Terminal up to the safety and operational standards one would expect from a modern Airport. The inauguration ceremony will take place on the 7th Nov, whereas the opening will be on the 10th Nov for flights of Cyprus Airways and Easyjet. All the rest airlines will have to wait until the 17th Nov. Nice idea to introduce the topic, FredCyprus!

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

Hi Kath, I will miss the old airport, never had any trouble with departures, may be becuse we travel back between 4-5 am. must say on arrival we have always retreived our luggage quickly. julie

6. Re: New Larnaca Airport Building Schedule Opens 7 Nov 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations