We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crossing to the north from kapparis

sussex
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Topic
crossing to the north from kapparis

hi, have booked a hire car with economycarhire, will they let me drive over if i obtain insurance at crossing point if that is possible? also where is the best crossing point from kapparis-directions/distance/time would be great.thanks in advance.shaun.p.s if not possible with economy any suggestions?

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crossing to the north from kapparis

Hi there

You seem to have posted the same thing three times!

All car hire companies have to tell you when you collect the car that you are not covered on insurance for going over to the North so basically its at your own risk. When you cross over you can buy insurance at the crossing point. Its about €28 which I think was for a month (minimum time). However whether this is actually valid insurance that would pay out if you needed to make a claim with car hire from the south I don't know but they won't let you take the car over without it. so best to bear in mind that you are taking the car over at your own risk and be extra careful.

From kapparis we headed through Paralimni then Dherynia then Frenaros and then past Vryssoules to Agios Nikolas and crossed there which brings you out by the old town of Famagusta. It took us about half an hour.

Terri

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crossing to the north from kapparis

When we've been to the north, we have left our car at the Ledra Palace Hotel car park and phoned ahead to book a car in the north, then you don't have the worry of the insurance problem.

I know this is not in the right area for you, but you could do the same atanother crossing point.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 17:28
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
946 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crossing to the north from kapparis

The other thing you have to consider is breakdown/problems with the Police while in the North. is the car is deemed to be illegally parked or speeding etc and they decide to impound the car, its up to you to pay any fines and make arrangements to get the car back. The same with breakdowns, its you that has to sort out any problems and garage/towing fees to get the car back to the South.

It sounds like I'm trying to put you off, but I'm only making you aware of what is needed ! Lots of people do drive over to the North, many locals do it just to visit shops !

Steve

4. Re: crossing to the north from kapparis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Protaras