We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to troodos mountains

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
trip to troodos mountains

I have left this to the last minute as we are travelling on sunday morning but wanted to ask a quick question. I have read about the 4 x 4 trips to the troodos mountains and wondered if it is comfortable enough for my dad aged 72, or should we look at another means of transport. If so I would be grateful for suggestions. We might hire a car but how safe are the roads?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to troodos mountains

We once went on a Filoxenia trip which was a trip for a small number of people (about ten) in a mini bus with a very experienced guide. It was great. I think we booked it through our hotel or Thomson rep but can't really remember. I haven't tried googling it but I am sure once you are there you can find out about these minibus tours. Quite a good option for your dad I would think.

Twigs

hull
Level Contributor
142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to troodos mountains

The roads up to troodos are very safe.

We have done it lots of times,and i do not do unsafe roads more then once.

The only problem you might come across is if you get stuck behind a large truck on the steeper bits.

newcastle
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to troodos mountains

thanks to both of you for your quick responses. I think we are going to hire a car if we are courageous enough, otherwise we will take a look at the bus trips on offer when we get there.

Thanks again. Better go and get packing, not long now. :)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to troodos mountains

I hope you have a great holiday and remember to tell us all about it when you get back.

Twigs

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to troodos mountains

Probably too late, but Cyprus Roads are no problem, remember we drive on the left as in UK and roads are far less busy.

The 4x4 trips have mixed reviews from great to terrible. I have not tried them as I spent too many years in the past in Landrovers. My present dislike of them is the low standard of driving that I see when the they are on the public roads in a mob of white landrovers (what is the collective word for a herd of safari Landrovers racing towards you on both sides of the road)? I suspect great for the young and young at heart but with my back these days my Honda CRV has better seats I suspect.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to troodos mountains

The 4x4 trips use landrovers, although this is a great way to see off the beaten track it might not be the most comfortable vehicle for older travellers as the landrovers have bench-type seats facing inwards and they can fit up to 8 people in the vehicle. Then again it really depends on the company you book with and as i said this is a great way to see the mountain region and some of the driver/guides are really knowledgeable. As Twigs said the Filoxenia Tour is run by mini-bus for small groups of adults only so more comfortable and led by a licensed CTO guide. This tour is organised by Aeolos Travel and bookable through Thomson and First Choice, i am not sure which day this runs from Protaras this year but if you have booked through a tour operator your rep will be able to advise you on this or any other "Select" excursion with a mini-bus. As the others have said though hiring a car is another possibility and the roads really are pretty good and well-signposted so this could be an idea if you prefer to be more independent.

newcastle
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to troodos mountains

Thanks everyone for your help. We eventually decided to hire a car, we got a really good deal, approximately £66 for the 2 days which we were really happy with. We went to the Troodos Mountains, Nicosia, etc., and have to say that we loved the island, as well as the Cypriot people who were so friendly.

If anyone reading this is apprehensive about driving in Cyprus all I can say is don't be. We would never usually hire a car on holiday but we felt so safe on the roads there.

My elderly dad had a lovely holiday, as did all of us, so thanks again for all your help and advice, it was much appreciated.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to troodos mountains

Thanks for posting back carlkay. So glad you all enjoyed your holiday and loved Cyprus and the people.

Twigs

9. Re: trip to troodos mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Protaras