We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
131 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

Can anyone recommend any traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras please?

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

Hi there

I'm not quite sure what you mean with this one, there is no accommodation in the Protaras, Ayia Napa and Paralimni area which is in a taverna. You would be hard pressed to even find a traditional taverna restaurant anywhere near any of the purpose built tourist resorts be be honest with you, let alone one which you can stay in.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

You may find what you're looking for here - http://www.agrotourism.com.cy/ - but not in Famagusta/Ammochostos.

Marion

aberdeen
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

Here is a good link http://www.easterncyprus.com/ should get loads of info there. There is a couple of traditional tavernas close to Protaras. The restaurant at Blue Bay serves up good Cyprus home cooking.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

St Elias tavern meze house

Edited: 10 June 2010, 01:09
w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

difficult to find a taverna but there is a chip shop?

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

@w62 - its not difficult to find a taverna but it is to find taverna accommodation which is what was being asked for originally.

don't panic - there are lots of nice restaurants in the area where you can get a good traditional cypriot meal. - st elias being one of them, ellinadiko, kaoullas, pieros, all along the top road in protaras, Mezedollio meze house on the strip in protaras, romeo on the strip in protaras, tony's and kkaras in kapparis, onassis and mouzara in ayia triada, pirrilis and the other one at cape greco who's name I can't remember but is at the bottom of the hill.

in ayia napa - markos, potamos liopetri for fish, tony's tavern, othello, matsoukas, stamna, napa tavern, elma, cicero, nikitas, mastello, among others.

there is plenty of choice for traditional food as well as excellent mexican, japanese, chinese, thai, italian, french, polynesian, seafood, steakhouses and sushi bars.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

If you want a traditional taverna grab a taxi and head for The Onassis taverna on the coastal road to Agia Triada (Kapparis area). You could get the bus from Protaras to Paralimni which stops virtually outside the taverna - only take you 15 minutes. Excellent fish and frequented by the Cypriots. You won't be turned away but I would advise booking Saturday or Sunday (Sunday is a great day when all the Cypriots descend for their mezes in the afternoon.

Sirena Bay (again on the way to Kapparis). Beautiful setting, nice taverna. There is a guest house there this is the last year they will be taking bookings.

w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

thanks kath and cyprus sea view. was wondering what I had let myself in for there. I booked the resort - kapparis for my party and told them it was a quiet little village. I assumed that meant traditional and didn't realise it was so full of Brits. on reflection I think polis might have suited us more but there you go.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

Sirena Bay and The Onassis taverna are only 10 minutes from Kapparis. There is also another lovely little bay at Agia Triada, which again is in the Kapparis region.

w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional taverna accommodation in or near Protaras ? ? ?

thank you for this Kath

Get answers to your questions about Protaras