We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Kapparis

w62
London
Level Contributor
815 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Kapparis

Just back. Had a great holiday slightly marred by a Monarch fiasco. Return flight took off, had a technical fault and we returned. Many hours in airport culminating in an overnight (well until 1am) stay at a hotel in Nicosia finally leaving at 6am on the same plane - eek!

Anyway, back to the holiday. I was a little sceptical about Kapparis as the reviews and photos of Kennedy Ave didn't endear me to it much. I really am not a fan of Brits abroad resorts full of British pubs with sports blaring from every telly and people tucking into English breakfasts. Turns out that is exactly what Kapparis is like. Also, with the best will in the world you couldn't describe that main strip as anything other than ugly. Picturesque it aint. It reminded me of what Croydon would probably look like if Britain had a hot climate!The first night or so I was feeling disappointed as none of it felt even vaguely Greek (or Cypriot) as I remember it. I've been to lots of Greek islands over the years and was really looking forward to that special atmosphere and it just wasn't there. However, as the weather was fab and the villa was great, I resolved just to enjoy it for what it was.

And I did. We went to Protaras one evening and that made me suddenly appreciate Kapparis. The TA Cyprus expert lady on here was spot on when she said that Kapparis, whilst being full of British bars etc, was not particularly touristy as it was more of an ex-pat town rather than a tourist resort. This descibes the place perfectly. It may not be pretty but it is relaxed and quiet, the locals (Cypriots and Brits) are extremely friendly and the food we ate in restaurants was excellent. Much better than in many of the more traditional islands I have been to. It seemed to be a lot cheaper in Kapparis too and we spent half what we did in Menorca last year.

So what happened was that Kapparis grew on me and I had a wonderful time.

Restaurants - we ate in Faliros, Karas Taverna, Tonys and Just Italian. Our favourites were Faliros and Just Italian and we ended up alternating between the two (with the odd takeaway or bbq in between). The Thursday night Greek dancing night in Faliros was great fun and finally made me feel like I was in Greece.

The Rodos Lounge bar was our favourite watering hole and the British ladies who are waitresses there are absolutely lovely. The kebab shop next door was great for takeaway and my friends said that they had the best lamb kebabs they had ever had. Again really friendly staff who said hello every time we passed by.

Orphanides supermarket had great choice and was good value. We stayed at the Villa Dionyssus in Blue Water Bay village. I can highly recommend this villa. The location was perfect. Villas can be a little on top of each other in BWB, but the Dionyssus was in a quiet road facing the sea. The people on either side were ex-pats and really friendly. It was so peaceful in the evenings as no one made a racket. A lovely retreat, yet only 5 mins from the strip.

Firemans Beach- nicer than Skitouri in my opinion. We went a few times to Konnos Bay which was my favourite part and somewhere I would consider staying in the future. Went to the archeological site in Paphos too which was good. Paphos harbour was very pretty and we had a nice lunch there.

So I think all in all I would say that I get what it is people love about Cyprus. I will definitely go back but I will look around for a village or town that is more traditional next time. I enjoyed Kapparis but I really don't want to see pubs and football screens everywhere next year - I get enough of that at home!

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Kapparis

Hi, I am glad that you enjoyed kapparis, you know my first impression of the place was,am I in the OK Corral not been back for about 4 years ,like you Kapparis grew on me ,we are going back there in a couple of weeks for 2 days near the end of our holiday.I also love fireman's beach,good to hear Rodo,s has opened up again,we also liked the Kennedy bar .So glad that you love Cyprus, looks like Aphrodite has you right under her spell.Julie

w62
London
Level Contributor
815 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Kapparis

Forgot to mention Kennedy's. The boys had a fry up in there one morning. Was very good apparently.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Kapparis

Thank you for your report. I'm so pleased Kapparis grew on you.

Depending on where you are staying, I liken it to being in a big apartotel resort, albeit not "all inclusive"!

You have a choice of four public pools and the sea... Cypriot, Chinese, Italian, Bulgarian, International, Fish, kebabs and fine dining restaurants / cafes / takeaways... several bars serving food, many with evening entertainment... free wi-fi at most (all?)... bakery, convenience stores, off licence... launderette, car hire etc.

And all within walking distance.

Although there is now a bus service, you can get out and about with a car to visit the real Cypriot villages and go to other beaches and eateries.

Ideal for a self-catering chill-out, IMHO.

Marion

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Kapparis

I'm glad you found my description of it to be correct. It is hard these days to find somewhere close to the sea which hasn't been overrun with tourism, especially in most of the mediterranean.

I too am not a fan of the english pubs and english breakfasts. I moved from kaparris a few months back as all I ever heard was English voices. I now live in Ayia Napa which to most people would be out of the frying pan into the fire but I find we have a much more diverse mix of nationalities here.

I hope you do return and explore a little more of the island and find a spot which is perfect for you. Kapparis is perfectly fine for a week or 2's relaxing holiday, but maybe next time split your time between somewhere on the coast and some time in a mountain village which will give you a totally different view of the island.

w62
London
Level Contributor
815 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Kapparis

That sounds like a good plan. I will be doing some research to find that perfect location for my next visit to Cyprus. I did enjoy my time in Kapparis though. It was just a different holiday than I usually would go for.

Thanks to everyone on here for their advice before I went. It was helpful.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Kapparis

I don't think it's fair to go to Cyprus expecting another Greek island - because it isn't. Cyprus is as far away from Greece as Germany is from the UK - you don't go to Germany expecting it to feel like England, do you?

Personally I loved Protaras, Kapparis was a bit too residential for my liking, but I agree neither was anything like the Greek islands. In fact, we drove all over Cyprus and the only places that vaguely reminded us of Greece were downtown Lemesos, the capital Lefkosia and Kyreneia/Bellapais in the occupied north. The Troodos villages had the same feel as the villages in the Pelopponese or Epirus (esp. Metsovo) - there were hardly any foreigners there (no English pubs either) but they wouldn't really make a good base for a summer (beach) holiday.

Everywhere we went in Cyprus that could be described as a summer resort seemed to be geared towards English tourists or Russian tourists or both. Less than half of the hotel employees, bar staff and restaurant waiters we came into contact with were Cypriots. I think if you want to experience the real Cyprus, you need to move away from the resorts and spend time in the town centres or the mountain villages. Otherwise, you will have to accept the party atmosphere (and Britishness) of the seaside resorts, and find one that is more to your liking or can grow on you with time, even if it's not "authentic".

w62
London
Level Contributor
815 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Kapparis

er that is why I put (or Cyprus) in brackets. But thanks for patronising me. I accept that the Cypriots have their own identity and differences - its a bit like that in Crete. My point was that I didn't expect it to feel so British. I am an ex-holiday rep who has visited many parts of Greece - the Aegean islands, the Peleponese, the Ionan, Cyclades, Dodecanese, Crete and Halkidi . I did realise after I had booked Kapparis that perhaps I hadn't booked somewhere terribly authentic. That is why I felt it was important to judge it fairly - eg. it's not my cup of tea however it is a great place for what it is and for those who are looking for something like that.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Kapparis

I wasn't patronising you, I thought I was being helpful. Sorry I spoke.

w62
London
Level Contributor
815 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Kapparis

Reread your first paragraph as though you were me and see if you still don't see that point. If you were trying to be helpful then thank you anyway.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Kapparis

I see your point. Now re-read my first paragraph in your best friend's voice - no exasperation in it, no patronising, just deadpan and matter-of-fact, and see if you can see mine.

Clearly I'm not your best friend, but I'm not out to patronise people I don't know either. Maybe the "do you" was a bit much, but in my head it didn't sound patronising, it was a shrug-of-the-shoulders kind of phrase.

Get answers to your questions about Protaras