We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

I'm planning on going to Protaras for 11 nights, hopefully leaving next week. The difference between Self catering and All Inclusive in the hotel I like is £500, so that's £45 per day for 2 adults and a 5 year old. My question is, how much should I budget as a daily spend on food and drink?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

We go self catering most years as we like to eat out at different places,as a family of 4,2 adults and 2 children we budget 130-150 euros a day! But that would include any trips we wanted to do and quite a few beers and cocktails on a night! Lol x

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,544 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

We stayed All Inclusive at the Hotel Artemis last August, this was booked through Thomas Cook and it was excellent value for what we payed. It was in a good location too, being only 5-10 minute walk from the centre of Protaras.

Have a look at my review which contains some pictures to give you an idea of this hotel.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

Cyprus is about getting out and about and enjoying the local hospitality. 4 of us (adults) main meal and drinks in the evening averaged >50 euros. During the day self catering made up sarnies. 130-150 is a fair budget

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

All Inclusive is turning into a nightmare for a lot of resorts here in Cyprus and things are going to get worse, I'm afraid. It started mainly with Paphos and it's picking up with Protaras now.

Some of the big Tour Operators, probably more so now with the economic crisis, are pushing hoteliers to offer AI and while arrivals are up this year, you don't necessarilly see more people strolling about or in the shops.

Staying in a hotel all day, with most of the staff from abroad and dubious quality local dishes, is not experiencing Cyprus.

Of course, knowing beforehand how much to budget is a big plus and some mini-markets and restaurant owners shot their own feet with ridiculous prices sometimes.

But my suggestion Poppy024 is go for Self Catering again and let the contributors of TA let you choose the best of what Cyprus has to offer.

Blfast
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

Gdane,

Totally agree mate we always go SC as there are numerous excellent restaurants in and around the Protaras/Paralimni/Ayia Napa area.

All these people going AI are ruining the resorts as most off them are to greedy getting their,sub-standard in most cases, so called 'free food and drinks' to go out and about as they are scared to miss out on anything 'free' in their hotel

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
946 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

As above.. if you want to experience Cyprus then go self catering and enjoy the whole of the area/resort/country rather than just one hotel (after all you might as well go to a cheaper holiday destination if you are just staying in the hotel)...

Self catering for 2 thirsty adults who like to enjoy good meals out, we budget about £100 a day

We have been All inclusive once in Cyprus (in 2008 when it first went into the Euro and people were saying the prices had gone up by upto 100% which they hadn't) We ended up eating out anyway... but having been before knew how much we were missing and how far from the real Cypriot food the all inclusive was.. Even things like Chinese/Mexican/English/Indian restaurants are so much better with the good local produce... the hotel we went all inclusive to was rated at 4 star (and that was pushing the boundarys of the truth) and the food was only on a level with a cheap truck stop café back home... and most of the staff were Eastern European so we really weren't getting anything to do with Cyprus other than the weather...

We said at the time, if this was our first time to Cyprus we would have gone home saying it was ok but nothing special and would have been looking to go to another country on our next holiday...

Steve

Blfast
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

I'm going to contradict myself but was look at next year's price,still to go this year lol,and looking at direct holidays I can get AI in Tsokkos Gardens,Pernera for £20.00 a head more than the Rising Star,Protaras but if I do ,sorry if the OH decides she wants to spend the extra for AI, we would only use the AI for breaky/lunch and a few drinks but still go out every night for a meal as most of the AI food is sub-standard to local restaurants.

Personally I would prefer the Rising Star as the OH usually leaves the Risng Sun Pub early,12.00, and is able to walk across to the hotel and leave me till closing time or later depending who is in for a drink lol,which she would not feel safe doing either walking or taxi back to Pernera and as I am creature of habit there is not much chance of me leaving the pub early while on holidays

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

i wouldnt go all inclusive too many good restaurants to try, most all inc offer substandard food

9. Re: Which is best value Self Catering or All Inclusive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:17