We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cypriot football

sussex
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
cypriot football

hi , spending a week in protaras in september and if possible would like to take a local football game in .., any one out there tell me how far away the nearest league club is ?

sussex
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cypriot football

good news my friend ..., after a little more research ive found out that Anagennisi Derynia now play there home games in the same stadium as Enosis Parlimini , capacity 5000 and are at home the 2 weekends we are there , that will please your mrs

Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cypriot football

haha! brilliant! where did you find this?

sussex
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cypriot football

www.soccerway.com/cyprus , if you log into this site that i came across it has all the new seasons fixtures and venues ....., now just got to find where abouts the stadium is , hopefully only a short taxi ride away

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
339 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cypriot football

Sorry for my late answer, I was away for the week, but let me clarify a few things:

The local team of Paralimni (the municipality where Protaras is located) is called Enosis Neon Paralimniou (Youth Union of Paralimni) or just Enosis. Home field is Paralimni municipal stadium which is located about 5km from Protaras.

A nearby team is Anagennisi Dheryneias (renaissance of Dheryneia) which will also use Paralimni municipal stadium as home field.

Another nearby team is Ethnikos Achnas (20 mins drive from Protaras).

Anorthosis and Salamina were located in Famagusta but after 1974 they play in Larnaca. In Larnaca you can also find the teams of AEK, Ermis and Alki.

If you let me know which weekend you will be there I will let you know on the schedule...

Harris

sussex
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cypriot football

thanks for your reply ..great to have some expert feedback, i am in protaras from wed 21st sept thru 28th .., any info would be greatly accepted .., Cheers

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
339 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cypriot football

According to the schedule published on Saturday 24th of September in Paralimni municipal stadium Anagennisi Dheryneias will face Salamina (both teams were in 2nd league last year so not a really great game).

In Larnaca Anorthosis will face Omonia Nicosia. This will be a good game to watch as these are two of the best teams in Cyprus along with Apoel. Also in Larnaca AEK will face Ethnikos Achnas and Ermis will face Enosis Neon Paralimniou.

Usually in September matches kick off around 7pm but the final timings will be published in the future.

Deryneia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
291 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cypriot football

I would actually recommend going for the less popular games. Cypriot football can get quite political and there has been significant hooliganism at some recent "big" games. Much better going to a Paralimni or Dherynia game.

sussex
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: cypriot football

as i dont want to pay a large taxi ride to and from Larnaca i will definently go to the local game at the Parlimni stadium .., just wondered am i gonna have difficulty getting a taxi back to protaras after the game ?

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
339 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: cypriot football

There are no taxis outside the stadium, so you will have to prebook one to pick you up after the end of the game.

However, I 'm pretty sure if you ask around many locals will be happy to give you a ride back to Protaras...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: cypriot football

Anorthosis Famagusta is a team from famagusta that plays in Larnaka since 1974 (turkish invasion).Enosis Neon Paralimniou, Ermis Aradippou and Ethnikos Achnas are the three teams that they play in the Agia Napa/Protaras area rather than in Larnaka. However, these are teams with no many supporters. On the 24th of September Ermis Aradippou plays Enosi Neon Paralimniou, however i would suggest for you to go to Larnaka and watch the game Anorthosis Famagusta vs Omonia Nicosia. Omonia Nicosia is the biggest club in Cyprus with the most supporters. It would be a good match to watch.

Get answers to your questions about Protaras