We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice from those in the know please

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice from those in the know please

Hello good people I am after a little advice from those who know please.

My girlfriend and I have been to Cyprus a few times over the years and absolutely love the place & people.

We have decided that this year we are going to try Protaras for a change as there seems to be so many great reviews about the place.

Having looked at some of the hotels most of which have great reviews we are after a little information please.

First of all i would like to know what kind of deal most people go for when booking a hotel, basically we would like to eat out some of the time we are there because we do not like being tied down to one place (always nice to try other local eateries) so all inclusive seems to be a waste of our hard earned cash wouldn’t you say?

In the past we have gone self catering (not in a hotel) which has worked out very expensive indeed and were not big eaters by any means, mind you we were a little younger then so drinks played a major part with that (to many party days & nights) if you know what I mean.

Secondly I would like some information about hiring a car for 3 to 4 days as we would like to go off and explore a few places, from memory the driving is on the same side of the road but I was wondering if there was anything I should be looking out for before hiring a car and if anyone has who would they recommend.

Looking forward to your help and if your in Protaras in September (1st two weeks) I should imagine and fancy meeting up for a drink that would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Hi, why not try B/B. That is what we have been doing. We find if we have a good breakfast we don't eat much at lunch time then we go out for meals and yes you are not tied down to hotel food. Works for us. Barbara

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Pestas cars were recommended to me by one of the experts on here - they have an office at the airport which you can just go to when you arrive and they will sort out insurance if you want to nip across the border to the Turkish side.

Would also recommend b&b in a hotel. Theres loads of choice, just depends how much you want to pay. We are staying at the sunrise beach in September. For the best deals try travelrepublic.co.uk or mytravel.

Let me know if i can help you any further.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Thank you for your help it is appreciated.

I did not think about b&b or even b&b in the hotel.

Scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

We have been to Protaras on Holiday several times.

Like you we like to to eat out and try different Restaurants.

We usually go Bed & Breakfast. But this year we have Booked Half Board. We are staying at the Odessa Hotel. We contacted the Odessa and asked if we could change our Evening meal to Lunch time and they said this was okay. So now we can choose to have our meal at Lunch time and eat out in the Evening. Or we can have our Evening meal in the hotel wichever we chose.

When we booked the Holiday the price for Half Board was not that much more expensive than Bed & Breakfast.

You will find plenty of places to hire a car when you get there.

Enjoy you`re Holiday

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Well it would seem B&B is the way forward so thanks for that, just got to find a very nice hotel.

We were looking at the sunrise beach (through the reviews) although we cannot seem to get a 10 night deal so may have to look at other hotels in the area.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

the Capo bay is also a beautiful hotel, and the sunrise pearl is brand new for 2012 - both are right on the beach.

We go on 24th September :)

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Thanks suz i was just looking at Capo bay and will check out the sunrise pearl to. :)

Caversham, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Capo bay is a lovely hotel although since we went about 4 years ago have a fab make over they have an adults only pool which you may like.

We stayed there B & B with our two teens and my mum in October lovely setting right on the beach and sea views are great sun bed allocation system is in place its the best no early starts!

We went to Paphos last summer always go 4 star self catering but we rather prefer Protaras side as beaches nicer and more going on.

We have booked to go to the Sunrise Beach B & B for 2 weeks for our summer holiday in July/Aug no 1 on tripadvisor looks great right next door to the Capo Bay thats about three on TA so think both lovely places to stay.

The water sports are good on the beach didnt do car hire last time but as we are there two weeks may do if i can drag our teens away to come!

Looking forward to the new walk way that has been built good selection of bars and cafes restaurants plenty of choice and prices for all so sure you will find something to suit yourselves.

Will let you know when back any other tips that we have found out. Myself and my hubby went there before the family in September nice time as not school holidays. Good luck hope it all works out getting the 10 days we just booked with the Thomson but not so much choice for us. The Sunrise Pearl sounds great will have a look around there.

Edited: 24 March 2012, 14:42
skelmersdale
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Silversands is another nice hotel they do 10 nights BB and i agree too many nice restauraunts to be going AI

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some advice from those in the know please

Hi folks.

Many thanks for all of your replies and i am very happy to say that we have booked 10 nights at the Crystal Springs Beach Hotel.

Very happy now as it is number 2 on the tripadvisor list and has many good reports.

Also got a great deal as we know a friend who just happens to work in the business which was even better.

Roll on September :)

Get answers to your questions about Protaras