We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time .... lots of questions?

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time .... lots of questions?

Hi - I am going for the first time and staying in Platomare Apartments with my two teenagers at the end of June. We normally go to Turkey and love Icmeler and Hisaronu.

1. I was wondering how different Protaras/Perena will be to Turkey?

2. Can we drink tap water or do you buy large bottles of water?

3. I believe from other posts that there is a Lidl - is it close to our apartments?

4. I also read that it is better to change sterling to Euros over there - should I take lots of sterling or are there lots of ATMs?

5. My daugher loves Turkey as she can get her fake designer bags and shoes there - do we have to go on the bus trip to get fakes?

6. Will it be hotter than Turkey ... please say no?

Thank you in anticipation of all your answers ...

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

Ive been to turkey and Cyprus many times so will try to help you. You can buy large bottles of water all over protaras, and yep theres a lidl not far from where youre staying.

I would say icmeler is bigger than protaras, but protaras is livelier with more entertainment in the bars. Food is very good in both resorts, but i find the restaurants in turkey are much cheaper and of a better quality.

The accommodation in protaras is generally of a better standard and the beach is superb - much much better than icmeler, tho turkey is far more scenic with its mountains and greenery.

You will not find the level of bargains that you get in turkey! Shopping in protaras is not good, but the buses to ayia napa are excellent and cheap and theres more choice there.

We love both countries and go sure you will too :) oh and by the way id say Cyprus is definitely a tad hotter!! Youre quite a bit further south.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

1. I was wondering how different Protaras/Pernera will be to Turkey?

The people will be very different for a start ! We have been to Turkey once (Marmaris), and much prefer Cyprus, the people are friendly but not always trying to drag you in or sell you their merchandise as you walk by (based on what we saw in Marmaris and the trips we went on)! There is plenty of History in Cyprus, a fabulous family based culture which you will find where ever you go (shops, bars, restaurants etc) but you will spot somethings that are a little similar as the two cultures have been very close to each other for thousands of years....

2. Can we drink tap water or do you buy large bottles of water?

If its mains water you can probably drink it but due to different mineral content it would probably upset your stomach. You might find in some place/hotels that it could be water stored in a large tank etc, so you are better off buying bottles of water (get them in 1.5lx6packs or great big single bottles etc). .. all that said, we have always used the water from the tap to make brews, clean our teeth and have ice in our drinks and not once had a problem.

3. I believe from other posts that there is a Lidl - is it close to our apartments?

Lidl is on the top road between Pernera and Protaras, you can't really miss it. Its a long walk on your hands and knees from the main areas of Protaras/Pernera but if you are reasonably fit and able you can walk from Pernera to Protaras in 25minutes

4. I also read that it is better to change sterling to Euros over there - should I take lots of sterling or are there lots of ATMs?

There are ATM's, but be aware of the charges your bank may or may not add. We usually take some travellers cheques, some euros and the card just in case (not saying this is the best exchange rate but it makes us feel better if we lost a bag or some such...)

5. My daugher loves Turkey as she can get her fake designer bags and shoes there - do we have to go on the bus trip to get fakes?

Southern Cyprus (which is where Protaras is) doesn't have a culture of fakes, not saying you won't get a cheap handbag with a name on it from somewhere, but its not like we experienced in Marmaris (Turkey) where every shop was selling fake goods.

6. Will it be hotter than Turkey ... please say no?

Depends on when and where, you are in a similar part of the World, and we have seen 40'C in both...

Steve

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

If u want ur fake designer gear take a trip to Nicosia and go across the border,passport needed,to the 'dark side' TRNC and u can get all the fake gear u want

skelmersdale
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

When we crossed the border we got stopped coming back and the whole vheicle was searched. Think they were more intrested in ciggarettes.I would be wary about buying anything on the otherside.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts - it is much appreciated!

It would be useful to know how far Lidl is from the Platomare apartments if anyone can help ie how long would it take us to walk?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

it would probably be about 30 mins or so but if u walk along the promenade there's plenty of places to stop for a drink along the way

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

Platomare is in Pernera, its about 25-30 mins walk from Pernera to Protaras, pass the turning down on the main strip (where Sfinx bar is) keep going straight on another few minutes walk (near the Brilliant apartments)

Steve

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

From the Platomare u would be quicker going along the promenade,when you get to Protaras walk up the hill past the Golden Star when u get to the top turn left and then at the 'water feature' turn right up the hill and follow the road past the Brilliant and u can't miss it

9. Re: First time .... lots of questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:41
Get answers to your questions about Protaras