We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do?

Booked to go to kouzalis beach next week (20th) for 11 nights which cost £1340 we booked last year and got a good price

Last month my son went to magaluf for 4 nights and took ill he managed to get home and a day later was admitted to hospital with menengitis after a weeks stay he was discharged only to be re admitted 3 days later with swelling on the brain and was kept in for 2 weeks he is now on the mend but id said only 10-15% recovered

I phoned thomas cook explained the situation to them and they said i could move my holiday as long as its in the next 6 months.Same hotel in september is £500 extra plus £35 each charge or roughly the same price for 1 week The prices tend to change on a day to day basis but time is of the essence

Has anyone been in this situation before and managed to get a decent conclusion with out paying nearly £600 or losing 4 days

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do?

Bless you sunworshipper - what a horrible situation to be in. First and foremost, I hope your son is feeling better and is out of danger.

So basically, to move the holiday to September, you would only get a week for the same price as you've paid for 11 days in June...? Or you could pay another £570 to stay for 11 days in September? Is that right?

I've never (thankfully) been in your situation. I'm assuming they won't just refund your money outright? If thats an option then that's what I'd do. Secondly, can they move your holiday to September and to another hotel? You might get a better deal and more for your money if you choose somewhere else.

If neither of the above are otions, then I think I'd just move to the week in September and lose the 4 days....Not ideal I know, but it might unfortunately be your only option. Clearly, leaving your son on his own next week isn't an option for you and I fully understand that.

Hope you manage to get something sorted and Thomas Cook help you as best they can.

London, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do?

Why don't you try and contact the hotel and see if you can't ask them to make a reduction on the cost for September and see if there is anything you can do that end or maybe they would be happy for you to change the date and would give you a couple of days free - is it not worth a try ?

leeds
Level Contributor
140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do?

Do you have Cancellation Travel Insurance?

Some policies cover cancellation due to illness of close relative.

Hope everything turns out ok

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do?

Hi, the previous poster has said what I was going to say,travel insurance, my thoughts are with you and your family at this awful time for you. I hope that your son makes a full recovery ,I thought that Thomas cook would have shown some humanity in your case and re booked you at no extra charge even if it had to be next year.Julie

Kent
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do?

how awful for you all, i would stay home and try to get the best deal possible for later but no amount of money can make up for his health, i wish you all the best and for his recovery

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do?

Sorry to hear about your situation. September is always expensive in cyprus compared to June, so TC will not be penalising you personally, but you will fall within the realms of the terms negotiated between tour operator, airline costing & hotelier. Probelm with travel insurance is that it will only reimburse the cost of your June holiday so unless you wait until June next year you will stil end up paying more if you re booked for September. Your excess may also be £100, so you could end up worse off! Can they locate a cheaper deal in Sept with an alternative hotel or had you got your heart set on Kouzalis ? Still worth a letter to TC customer complaints division (as they must respond in writing), asking for good will gesture. Even if you get vouchers off another holiday or room upgrade? Hope this helps.

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do?

We had a similar situation with TC end of last year we was due to go to the Dominican Republic for xmas but I was called in for an operation, so was unable to go, we contacted TC and unlike your response they couldn't of been more helpful, 1st they offered us to still go AND they would refund us £1000 difference of the holiday (we booked12 months in advance and a last minute holiday was that much cheaper) obviously had to refuse that so they gave us all our money back in cash there and then. I had a claim in with the insurance company to claim back anything TC wouldn't give us but under the circumstances we didn't need to pursue the claim. My advice ring them again and see if you get someone that's more helpful they can be when they want to be.

Jo.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do?

How awful for you, my thoughts are with you. Like one of the other posters I'd be inclined to claim on the travel insurance, if possible, and re-book a later deal in September when you know you son is OK. Unless you've got your heart set on A1 at the Kouzalis you would be able to get 11 to 14 days self catering in September, particularly towards the end.

9. Re: What would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Protaras