We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British owned bars?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
375 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
British owned bars?

We're looking at protaras for next year's holiday having spent most of the last 15 years holidaying in Spain.

Are there many British owned bars there like in parts of Spain? Whilst we like to eat local, we like to drink where we can have a chat over a pub quiz or live band or similar. Is it that sort of place or should we look elsewhere?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
375 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British owned bars?

Thanks in advance btw. :-)

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: British owned bars?

Not to much in Protaras that would be British owned can think of woodys, steens (irish) and kokos bar in Pernera.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British owned bars?

As Dazzle said not to many British owned bars,Steen's isn't Irish it's Northern Irish so don't call Billy the owner Irish lol, but most of the locally owned bars like Ripples,Waves,Sphinx have staff who speak and understand English better than half the people who live in Britain

south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British owned bars?

We are of to protaras next June and my wife is looking forward to a proper ulster fry at steen's. , she reckons my full English breakfasts are no where near as good as an ulster fry .

:)

Gary .

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British owned bars?

Agree there's not too many British owned, but there's certainly a British "feel" about the nightlife in Protaras. If you're after entertainment such as Tribute acts then you'll get that in Protaras, and there's also a place that does bingo. You can also get the bus to Ayia Napa for the night and get British-style entertainment in Tommys and the Golden Arrow on the main strip.

berkshire
Level Contributor
406 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: British owned bars?

Gaza your wife is so right, An English fry does not come close to an ulster fry. Soda farls and potato farls yum yum.

Paul Lfc has got it right, people from N,Ireland like to be seen as Northern Irish

Not Irish, because. We are British.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
375 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British owned bars?

Thanks guys.

Pretty sure Ayia Napa would be too busy/commercial for us.

Our best holidays have been when we've found a place to drink that's been really friendly and we've gone back as much to chat with the staff as well as other oil day makers, that's why I'm trying to find out stuff.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
264 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British owned bars?

Maybe have a look at Pernera, there a plenty of those type of Bars there, you also have the choice to walk/bus to Protaras or bus to Ayia Napa if you fancied something more lively or change of scenery.

They may not be british owned but definately a british feel about them, sports, soaps, films, quiz nights etc.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 16:34
south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British owned bars?

Bluemax , did you say " soaps". Oh no , I'm not gona see my wife for two weeks .

:)

Gaza

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
946 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British owned bars?

as its been mentioned - here is the Ulster Fry in Steens, well worth visiting early in the holiday to give you chance to go back and back !

s15.postimage.org/nqu06n8q3/DSCF2096.jpg

Steve

Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations