We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive or self catering?

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive or self catering?

Hi, can anyone who has been to protaras recently please advise?

Just wondering average cost of eating out / drink prices for beer, wine, soft drinks etc. trying to decide whether all inclusive would be more cost effective.

On bit of a budget this year but do like to eat out, mezze, local dishes etc. any advice much appreciated x

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Hi, on eating out in Cyprus allow about the same as you would in the UK, but saying this there are places that do a set menu for around 15 euro, also you will see happy hours around for drinks. there are so many nice places to eat. we usually have a good breakfast a snack from a bakery for lunch then whatever we fancy in the evening. we take about 120 euro a day for the two of us and never get through it all. when you think of the cost of AI do you stay about the hotel all the time or are you out and about if so it is not worth it.we usually get some drink from the supermarket and have a couple on our balcony before we go out.

You can get some great apartments cheaper on ownersdirect.co.uk or holidaylettings.co.uk

I think really that you have answered your own question when you say you like the traditional meals, try to eat away from the tourists traps then you will find it is cheaper. I cannot tell you what to do but right now the local Cypriots need all the custom they can get.Julie

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Hi

We have been AI twice to Pernera/Protaras I would not do it again. The food was just ok and the drinks were hit and miss. There are some fantastic restaurants and bars in Protaras serving a better standard of food (lots with good offers) and drinks, also I think now more than ever Cyprus needs us to be spending our money in the resorts and not going to tour operators who do the AI. We went in a villa last year and it cost us no more than AI and we had some great food, drinks and fun!

Diane

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Totally agree with Julie as the only one's making money via AI are the travel companies and large hotel chains and if more and more people continue going AI it will put family owned/run businesses out of business and turn resorts into ghost towns. The local restaurants and bars are crying out for trade and also the food quality is far superior and the staff/owners are far friendlier as they appreciate your trade and go out of their way to help.

We have been going to Protaras for the last 18 years and every year more and more people are going AI and the bars/restaurants/shops & car hire places are getting less and less trade which is doing massive damage to the tourist trade.

Come to Cyprus and go out and about and spend your money to help the small businesses who are suffering and stuff the big boys,like Thomas CROOK, who are strangling the local economy

Edited: 26 March 2013, 11:25
Scotland
Level Contributor
620 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Self Catering because there is plenty of lovely Restaurants to chose from and not too expensive.

A/I holidays is spoiling Protaras I think because of this Bars and Restaurants are keeping there prices down to attract the customers away from th A/I Hotels.

Can`t wait till October when I go go Back to Protaras for 2 weeks Holiday.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
944 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Self catering on a budget (to us) is better than all inclusive ! You can eat when and where you want, not eat if you don't want to (sounds odd but when you are all inclusive you find yourself going and eating because you might get hungry before the next meal if you don't)...

However as already said, you will miss out on some fantastic places to eat, some great entertainment, great people....

We have been all inclusive several times over the years and always find the food is "food"... it feeds you, but not a lot else. Its a bit like going for a frozen box meal rather than a good homecooked dinner.. You wouldn't be coming back raving about these new dishes you had tried, about how fabulous the souvlaki was, how the the lamb kleftiko was so soft you could eat it with a spoon,....

Steve

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

I agree with Steve, self catering is better value than AI. plus I hate having to join the queue for food it reminds me of eating in a works canteen, you get stuck in a line while waiting for other people dithering about by the time you get back to your table the food is half cold . I mix self catering with eating out sometimes we buy a takeaway.

Also by not going AI you can find you own entertainment in the evening I have stayed in hotels on AI where entertainment is non existent or poor and ended up going down the road to find something to do .Julie

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

I agree with everyone, and this is regardless of the destination country. AL/HB is always a "canteen affair" which I hate. We always went self catering; bigger apts, cheaper price, more freedom, and then I saw a good H/B deal (spain) and thought would be better value. Worse decision I ever made. So back to S/C for us, and soooo looking forward to Sandra Apts on the 2nd June, cannot wait. :-)

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Thanks for all your replies, just really confirmed what we already knew! We do love try try new restaurants and explore away from the hotel / apartments, we just had a bad experience a couple of years ago in alcudia bay Majorca where eating out was so so expensive, it spoiled the experience, having to watch every penny after a few days. Anyway from what u have said, prices there are not ridiculous so will have a look at apartments. Any suggestions for family friendly places? Xx

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Hi, we use the sites I gave you in my first reply, you will get a better standard apartment and cheaper than the tour operators, the money you save can go towards the cost of self catering or eating out.Julie

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive or self catering?

Hi, I have booked the Vangelis many times (both as a package and also separately through hotels4u) and can recommend for good, clean, centrally located apartments. Would also recommend the Brilliant apartments and the Sandra which can be booked through Thomsons. All are within easy reach of Lidl for handy self catering supplies!