We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Which Protaras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Picture the scene: I'm due to fly to Cyprus in two days for my first ever trip to Protaras.

The villa is booked, the car is hired and I'm doing some last minute Internet snooping on what to expect... When I come across countless news articles and forums about snakes and tarantulas! Argh! Having never been to Cyprus I'm naturally very panicky (being a bit of a scardey cat and all that)

So really I'm wondering if you seasoned Cyprus travellers have come across anything in protaras? Part of me thinks that because protaras is touristy you're less likely to see a lot of the critters... Am I right?

And on the subject of snakes, I read that many like water and now I'm panicky about the pool in our villa. Swimming with snakes is not my thing.

Anyway I know I'm a worry guts so I would just like some reassurance and advice from you guys!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Never seen either in 13 years in cyprus! Quite a few lizards but definitely no snakes or tarantulas!!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

No have a few cypriot friends who have seen the spiders but i have never seen one,the lizards are great but will run a mile so dont worry,just have a great holiday

derbyshire, uk
Level Contributor
138 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

seen snakes in troodos mountains but never in resort. never seen a spider and hope not to.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Hi

We went in June saw plenty of cockroaches one landed on my friends head! got bit by mosquito's! Lizards about but that was near the beach.

Diane

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Hi, never seen snakes in Protaras , have seen them around cape greco and other rural areas I have also seen lizards but they don,t bother you.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 10:31
Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Snakes prefer quiet areas so are unlikely to be around tourist areas. In 5 years I have seen one snake and I live in a very rural area. There are large spiders around but I do not think they are known to hunt down and attack humans but if you suddenly have the urge to dance a very wild tarantella then legend says that a tarantula has bitten you, might be useful when clubbing.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
946 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

been going to Cyprus for years, different times of year, doing varying things while there, from horse riding, bike riding, walking and varying trips and boating ....

I've seen.. 1 little spider that was of no concern which was in a corner somewhere,

another spider in a bush in its web, on an out of the way walk... took some finding...

I've seen 1 snake (tiny little thing) that was doing its best to get away from the couple that has spotted on a back road out of the way.

and one more slighlty bigger snake on a pavement out in the middle of nowhere on a bike ride, and as fast as I was going it still managed to get out of my way before I could get the camera out :-(

to put that in perspective.. in the UK I've seen 1 snake on a pavement in the middle of town !, several spiders in varying places etc...

so don't worry about... :-)

Steve

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Thanks everyone. Feeling better already and looking forward to my holiday & first time in Cyprus

Nottingham
Level Contributor
366 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

Snakes will do their very best to avoid you. How many have you come across in the Uk? We have loads of them too.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Creepy Crawlies in Cyprus

I've seen cockroaches and lizards, snakes don't bother me but not seen any of those. Spiders.... well I'll keep well clear of any of those anyway (phobia).

Get answers to your questions about Protaras