We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

worcester uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

Hi All

I am thinking of booking up to come to the Protaras area next year after a very boring holiday in Zante this month where the water was dead nothing at all to see and the water was so rough it was like being in the washing machine so if anybody could let me know what the snorkelling is like in the area I would be very grateful

Thanks

Carl..

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

Fig tree bay is ok usually lots of fish to the right of the island, also cape greko, its nothing like eygpt of course but you will see some fish

worcester uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

Thanks cherub77 we went to Skiathaos a few years ago and the snorkelling was excellent so I thought Zante would be good to but was so disappointed nothing at all in the water it was totally dead my wife wants to come to Cyprus next year but I said only if the snorkelling was any good I don't fancy Egypt to many sharks !

Thanks for your reply

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
201 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

a few small fish about but not a great deal first time I went we took snorkelling gear with us but haven't bothered since and been back 4 times if its the main reason for choosing protaras I would look elsewhere.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

I was in eygpt in march the snorkelling was superb as previously said dont go to protaras just for that reason, ive been to greece many times and dont think you will see a lot

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

If you use Protaras as a base an travel the island a bit there seems to be plenty of snorkelling on offer

http://www.cyprusandmore.com/tag/snorkeling/

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

We spent two weeks in the Protaras area this August and did lots of snorkelling in five or six different bays from Fireman's Bay in Kapparis (15 mins drive North of Protaras) down to Konnos Bay (10 minutes drive South of Protaras).

We saw loads of fish in each bay and in some places, thousands. We were swimming through shoals, though mostly fairly small fish such as you find in an aquarium at home.

The largest fish we saw were Sea Breams, about the size of an outspread adult hand and some 2 foot long trumpet fish. Have also seen a couple of baby barracudas and you can occasionally spot a small octopus amongst the rocks on the sea floor.

In Fig Tree Bay, the area is busy with watersports which can churn the water up a bit, but for the most part, the water all along the coast is very clear (and warm). If you swim out to the island in Fig Tree Bay with a bag of bread crumbs, you will be surrounded by fish who will almost eat out of your hand.

To reiterate, snorkelling is great all along the coastline that end of Cyprus and there is plenty to see underwater.

worcester uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

Thanks for all the replies and thanks cjib for yours I thought the Island in fig tree bay looked like it might be ok

i think my wife is already set on there for next years holiday it will be late Aug early Sept so hope it wont be mad busy all the other Greek islands we have been to i saw loads of marine life just think Zante was very dull

just a few small fish never mind Cyprus next year then

Thanks again

Carl..

8. Re: Snorkelling in the Protaras / Fig Tree bay area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations