We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protaras -v- Paphos

Birmingham
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Protaras -v- Paphos

Never been to Cyprus but looking for June next year. Any opinons as to Protaras or Paphos. Not sure what to expect, are both resorts very busy/very large/very English? We have previously been to Tigaki Kos, Sidari Corfu, Lindos Rhodes. How do Protaras and Paphos compare ?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,742 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

Do you want very busy/very large/very English or not ?

It really helps people to help you if you can say what it is you are looking for.

I, for one, have no knowledge of any of the other places you list so can't describe what Protaras and Paphos are like in comparison.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

If you like nice beaches then protaras....if you prefer cultural sites then paphos. Protaras is compact with everything situated around a 'strip' but you can easily access Ayia napa by bus and there are plenty excursions if you want to go further. Paphos is more spread out but again trips are available.

If you hiring a car then nothing is too far away in Cyprus

Birmingham
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

I was asking whether these places are very busy/very large/very English, I wouldn't have thought it would help to say what I was looking for, I was asking people's opinions on the two resorts.

Thank you Linzistevenson for your helpful reply.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

Having been to all the places you have mentioned, I would say that both Protaras and Paphos are better but it really is a personal preference depending on what you are looking for. For me personally, in my humble opinion, I love all the Greek Islands but I do feel Cyprus outranks them all. I have stayed all over the island and whenever I go to Cyprus, I feel like I am going home, the people are lovely, the food is amazing (I have never had a bad meal), I literally don't have a bad word to say about Cyprus. Linzistevenson is right about the differences and for me if pushed to choose, I prefer the East side of Cyprus (Protaras side). I personally find Protaras a little English (I know what you meant by that saying!) but it is not as in your face as some places abroad. I tend to stay just outside Protaras and then I can dip in and out as much as I like, be near somewhere busy if I want or a quiet day away from the madness, the best of both worlds!! I am sure wherever you choose, you will have a wonderful time.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

Thanks Tracey, I knew someone would know what I meant by "English". Good idea just outside Protaras, will start looking.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

In penera at the moments its quietet than protaras but you can easy get there by walkin or taking the bus had a fab night in rockafellas last night

actonarthur2
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

Been to Protaras 8 times and Paphos 5 times and in my opinion Protaras will always get my vote.

Its beach is absolutely glorious with several good hotels overlooking the beach.

Great variety of restaurants cheap and mid-price range according to your budget.

The real difference is lack of beach in Paphos unless you go up to Coral Bay which is an important part of my type of holiday but a beach is not vital to everyones taste.

Very nice hotels in Paphos though and plenty of places to visit but being in Protaras you are only 10 minutes away from Ayia Napa for a day/evening out for a pound or so on a bus.

Love the place

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,742 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

I too knew what you meant but couldn't understand from your post whether that was something you wanted or not. No point telling someone who wants bacon and eggs for 2 euro to head to the mountains or vice versa.

It takes all sorts of likes and dislikes to make someone's holiday - take for example the post on the first page today from someone who is looking for an hotel that only caters for 'English' guests.

I would also consider Pissouri, which is halfway between Limassol and Paphos (roughly 30 mins to drive to either) as that is a village that has managed to retain most of its Cypriot charm whilst catering for holiday makers

Scotland
Level Contributor
668 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

I have been to Paphos one time and Protaras about 12 times.

I am in a bar just now having a beer in a bar in the Pannera area 20 min walk from Protaras.

My opinion is go to Protaras or Pannera

Tyne & Wear
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Protaras -v- Paphos

Protaras for me every time. Been there 6 times & am going back next May.

Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations