We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel around Kalamata

Which Kalamata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St.Ives
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Travel around Kalamata

I would like a bus timetable and a train timetable for July.

Also where do ferries go to from Kalamata and any coach trips available say to Mystra? or other interesting places?

Thank you in advance.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel around Kalamata

A bus timetable is available online, unfortunately only in Greek. Where are you thinking of trying to go? There are buses all around Messinia, far too many to list here, as well as long distance ones to other areas of the Peloponnese/Greece. I can give you a few specifics if there is anywhere in particular you want to visit.

No trains. Ferries: If the schedule is the same as last year there will be one ferry a week to Kythira & Crete.

There will be trips to Mystras from Stoupa etc, for days & prices contact Doufexis Travel, (0030) 27210 77677

www.doufexis.com/index.php…

Also Maniatis Travel,

maniatistravel.com/english/about_us_e.html

It is also possible to get there by regular bus, but there is only the option of going at 9am & returning on the 2.15pm (time it leaves from Sparta).

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Train operations in the Kalamata area and most of the Peloponnese ceased at the beginning of 2011. I'm pretty sure the one ferry a week to Crete, isn't sailing this year. There were no other ferries.

It would be best to check with local travel agents about coach tours when you arrive. There are two buses a day to Sparti, for Mystra, but because of the timings it wold mean an overnight stay. You might enjoy a day out in the old Venetian town of Koroni, plenty of buses.

If you are traveling to Kalamata from Athens there is one Aegean flight a day and about ten buses from the Kifisos bus terminal. The www.livingingreece website will help with bus schedules.

There is plenty to see in the Kalamata and Messinias areas , but you need a car.

St.Ives
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Please give a link to the bus timetable.

What a pity there are now no trains, we used them a few years ago and it was very cheap and enjoyable.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel around Kalamata

www.ktelmessinias.gr/…

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Just as a side query to this. I assume the Kalvryta rack railway is now being "fed" by buses to Diakofto if the remaining trains have ceased to run.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Probably stating the obvious, but the ticket office at Kalamata bus station has a very large time table on the wall; reasonably easy to work out.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Yes, it's a large display!

They also have paper versions to take away.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel around Kalamata

One of the better railway web sites seems to be europetrainsguide.com/Countries/…Greece.OSE

Would appear to be up to date . While the only rail link( in the Peloponnese?)

finishes at Kato it appears the track to Diakofto is actually under repair.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Hello,

Greetings from Malaysia!

I will be joining my husband who will be working in Kalamata this 13 Sept.

I will be there until end Sept.

Any suggestions for me to do during the day (staying at Haikos hotel)

and any recommendations for weekend day trips (we have a car).

I haven't been to Greece before.

Thank you all.

St.Ives
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel around Kalamata

Yes, go to the archaeological museum in town, be aware its early closing without evening opening on I think 3 days for all the shops. , Mon, Wed, Fri? check.

Walking up and down the pier at Kalamata of an evening is great. Have a good time.

We enjoyed bus trip - ordinary bus - to Koroni, day by car at ancient messine, and from previously Stoupa and Kardymili are lovely, Mystras amazing churches if you can bet there, temple of ~Bassae - by car and not that easy to find.

Back to Kalamata, the old churches, guide books in English are available in the book shops.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamata