We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Help again please for the next stage of our trip next year!

We plan to drive from Kalamata to Diakofto (Aigio), where we will spend 3 nights, via Messini - Megalopoli - Karitania - Dimitsana - Vytina - Kalamata - Diakofto.

Is that too much for 1 day including some sightseeing along the way?

I know its winding, mountainous roads, but we are used to that in South Africa and it doesn't bother us, as long as the road surface is okay.

I saw on the Travel Math website that it takes about 3 - 4 hrs from

Kalamata to Kalavryta. Is that right? And how long from there to Diakafto?

We'll leave the car at Diakofto the next day and do the cog railway trip again to Kalavryta for some more sightseeing.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

BUMP!!

<<<Vytina - Kalamata - Diakofto>>>> I think you mean KALAVRYTA

Kalavryta is maybe 20-30 minutes down to Diakofto. Worth stopping at Moni Megali Spileion on the way.

A great trip coming together there! Shame you have to travel so far in one day as the area around Dimitsana would have been worth a night. Old story - too much Greece, not enough time!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,508 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Ok to do in one day, but as tsipouro says it a shame you won't have the time to enjoy the route you've chosen! Adding a night not possible?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

So much to see, so little time!!

We'll just HAVE to go back again!

Yes, Kalavryta, not Kalamata. Getting confused with the names!

Do any of you perhaps know the village of Lakka? It is apparently near Aigio. That's where our Guest House is near Diakofto.

Couldn't find anywhere to stay near Kalavryta that suits our budget! But we're happy with this one in Lakka.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,508 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

I will ask Aredub to take a look at this, he knows the area well.

Have you got a link to the guesthouse so I can place it?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Don't have a link, but it's Guest House Gerofotis, Lakka.

Thanks!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

We found a place in Kalvryta just by drivng around the outskirts of town - in May I think we were the only guests!

And in Diakofto we stayed at Hotel Lemonies.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

I don't know Lakka, but it appears to be in the hills behind Aegion. The road is a very minor road and terminates beyond Lakka, so you would have to return to near Aegion each time.

In Kalavryta there are a number of very nice (from the outside!) hotels and outside of the winter season they might be quite reasonably priced, certainly you could ask for a better price. Booking would not be necessary. There are also a few Hotels in Diakofto that look low priced.

Further up the coast towards Korinthos, 20 minutes from Aegion, 10 minutes from Diakofto, in Akrata there are two hotels, and a couple of apartment/rooms providers that again may be within your budget during May.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Assume this is the place you are staying

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1586981-d592…

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

Thats it!

But I don't like that "very minor road" part, so I think we are going to cancel that one and stay at the Hotel Panorama in Diakofto. They do have rooms for us.

I tried getting in touch with Lemonies, but the emails keep coming back undelivered. Don't know what's going on there!

Thanks again, aredub, you have been a great help.

How long does it take more or less from Diakofto to Delphi (Sibylla Hotel, your recommendation, Christine) over that lo-o-ong Rio-Antirio bridge? I'm sure that will be a toll road?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalamata by road to Diakofto?

I seem to remember I only had success with Lemonies by using fax service.

( +30 6910 41820) & it was hard work as their English was about equal to my Greek!

No idea on Diakofto to Delphi as we have never travelled that route - perhaps Aredub might know . . . . . or you could do a route search on Michelin which will tell you the time, distance & any tolls payable.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamata
Recent Conversations