We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

Which Kalamata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

Hi

Looking to travel to an island during our vacation to Greece this summer. Normally, we take a ferry from Athens but for many reasons we need to be around Kalamata this year so wondering what islands you can get to from this area. Is there a site that gives information as to where you can go/how long the ferry ride is/prices etc.? Apologies if this has already been asked but had trouble navigating through all the Kalamata questions.

Thanks!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

If you are in Kalamata you don't need to go to an island — there are many beautiful beaches and seaside towns in Messenia and Lakonia. As far as I know the nearest ferry is from Gytheio, stopping at Kythera, and Kissamos on Crete.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

As Heimdall says forget about islands , the beaches In Messinias are fine . Worth hiring a car to visit Ancient Messini, and the castles at Koroni, Methoni and Pylos. One of the most beautiful beaches in Greece, which is also a nature reserve, is Voidokillia close to the delightful seaside village of Giavola, north of Pylos.A useful map is the Road edition of Messinia.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

Ancient Messini:

http://tinyurl.com/yjelo9c

Methoni:

http://tinyurl.com/yhnm3xm

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

A few more photos of Messenia: flickr.com/photos/…

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

Thanks for all the feedback. We are very familiar with the area and will be in Methoni for most of our trip. We will be in Greece for 3 weeks (can't wait to get back)My wife has family there so we have been several times. My wife and I have kids and my in laws will be watching them for a few days so we can have some time to ourselves. So we just wanted to get away to an island as it is rare we can do something like this. So that is the reason we want to leave from Kalamata rather than Athens. If anyone has any info on ports nearby, ferry info, islands, time to get to said island it is appreciated. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

Hi Matt

Head to Gytheio where you can jump on a ferry to the island of Kythira. Sails on a Thursday, takes about

2.5hours. check out www.kythera.gr/en

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

As the previous poster said, that ferry only goes once a week. Neapoli is a better jumping off point for Kithira as boats go most days.

There's also Elafonissos which is only a ten minute ride from Pounta near Neapoli.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

That sounds great and these were the kind of ideas I am looking for. I will check that out for sure. Thanks!

9. Re: Ferry from Kalamata or nearby ports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kalamata