We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

Hello, has any of you found some good spot (accesible by car or in short walking distance) to see Guantanamo Naval Base? Rough Guide mentions two places (Caimanaera, Boqueron) but it also says there has to be some in advance reservation made via some hotel or guide or something...

Has anyone get to some nice spot only by yourselves, without any guides? Thx.

10 replies to this topic
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

'Nice spots', they don't exist. Cuba has sealed off the complete area surrounding the base, you have misunderstood the lay out of the land in that area if you have the idea that there is some coastal road where you can cuise and make stops and select your own preferred spot to sit and watch naval base life on the other side... There are none. The nearest public road is miles and miles away from any spot from which you can even catch a glimpse at the base.

So what you have read is the simple truth: You have to arrange a tour and guide in Santiago who will take you on a looong bumpy drive to a spot where you can peep through a binocular and make out in the distance that what you see could be and certainly must be GITMO.

In other words, save yourself the research and the daytrip trip and the (much) money, and simply forget about it.

Stafford, Great...
Level Contributor
137 posts
613 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

After reading your response re the US base, I have changed my plans to consider a visit; peering through binoculars is not my idea of visit. I hoped for as close a contact, as I was able to see at Panmunjom between the DPR Korea and South Korea (from both sides). I presume that the situation has not changed in the four years since you posted your response?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

Everything that Don Tomas (may he RIP) posted is still legit.

Toronto
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

Yes indeed halfwaytree...we all enjoyed reading D.T's opinions :-)

It's pretty cool we get an old post now and again :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

I don't know how a 3+ year old thread wasn't closed due to inactivity but it's sure nice to see an old post from our amigo DT.

Toronto
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

I thought that also...must be the ghost/brilliance of D.T. :-)

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

WilliamRead #2: Simply look at Google maps. Both airports are very obvious. You can zoom in and see many details such as the bowling alley, many restaurants, and even the prison over in the corner are marked. There are even Google reviews of the restaurants should you one day find yourself on base.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to observe Guantanamo Naval Base

Post 7 post at 2 will have gone many years ago

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply