We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack size for Milford Track

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pack size for Milford Track

Hello,

I'm doing the track as an independent hiker and I need some advice on the pack size I should bring. I'm a bit of a minimalist in terms of packing, though I always have all the essentials. My only splurges are my DSLR camera and a couple of boxed wine pouches (minus the box of course). Is a 40 L pack enough? I looked at my 70L pack and it just seems excessive.

Thank you.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack size for Milford Track

I suggest the size doesn't matter so much as what you put in it.

The DOC website includes a comprehensive list of what you need to take. If it all fits into a 40L pack, then excellent. If it doesn't, then go larger.

Please stay safe in our great outdoors :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack size for Milford Track

Good point. It may just come down to how many bags of wine I want to stuff in my bag! =)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,716 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack size for Milford Track

40 L should be plenty - you don't "dress for dinner". I like dry socks each day but many people have only one set of clothes for tramping in and another dry set for evenings. Taking all dehydrated meals keeps the weight down. (I see some trampers peeling spuds, when potato flakes are much lighter & use less fuel to cook them!!)

4. Re: Pack size for Milford Track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 07:39
Get answers to your questions about Fiordland National Park