We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Monorail for Fiordland

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
No Monorail for Fiordland

Environmentalists will be relieved to know that the Fiordland Monorail project has been rejected by the Minister of Conservation.

radionz.co.nz/news/national/245773/governmen…

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: No Monorail for Fiordland

I classify myself as a Green - and yes, I have ventured into the wilderness and yes I drive a hybrid car (and those regulars here who know how much I loved my Jeep know what a sacrifice that is for me!!).

But I was not a supporter of the monorail - primarily as I don't think it would have worked economically, given the record of those behind the scheme.

And reading through this thread - why are the greens targeted? The plan was stopped by the Govt due to financial concerns. It wasn't stopped due to conservation efforts.

Next up is the Hollyford Toll Road - which certainly makes sense to me on paper - however the backers are claiming the road can be built for $300 million - those opposed claim a truer estimate would be $1 billion.... yikes!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,021 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: No Monorail for Fiordland

My reading of this WL is two fold:

1. The Greenie perspective : "Of never never ever touch flora and fauna irrespective of the greater benefits to mankind and the country and

2. Whether or not the project is financially viable.

I cannot understand how the Minister of Conservation can determine whether the latter is or is not a goer. I accept that the risks are high and if the company bales on the project before completion the country will be left to pick up the pieces, but if it were to succeed............................. We will never know now.

Being Green and a Greenie are I believe different. Green is environmentally responsible; Greenies are negative looking luddites who uses the environment as an excuse to stall any advancement. And they hug trees to get noticed.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: No Monorail for Fiordland

Erosion or loss of Ecological Biodiversity is a serious issue even if these costly developments do benefit mankind. Biodiversity is a crucial component of Human well being. ie We are clearly harmed if fish stocks dwindle to extinction, there are plants in these wild natural areas whose gene pool may be useful for us.

There are Environmentalists/Greenies who find these instrumental and anthropocentric arguments are not the only compelling ones. For them, preserving the richness of our remaining ecological systems has value in its own right, as an ethical imperative over and above what it means to us humans.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,021 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: No Monorail for Fiordland

SIB there has to be some middle ground in issues like this. In my experience there are those who are unwilling to compromise to the extent that some become involved in eco terrorism.

It is fair to say that most governments especially those in NZ will take a cautious approach to such proposals but sometimes the snails have to die in the search of progress. Something about the evolution of life.

As I said earlier I don't know if this particular project was a flyer or not but the country could benefit greatly by opening up what is a pretty secluded part of the country, unseen and unaccessible by the majority. Lets hope that common ground and a successful project can be found to the betterment of all and the NIMBY attitude is put to one side.

35. Re: No Monorail for Fiordland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fiordland National Park