We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Sipi right now?

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Sipi right now?

I'm gutted to see Sipi is now included in the red zone on FCO (UK Gov) maps advising against all travel. However the accompanying text says 'advise against all travel to the Karamoja region of north eastern Uganda (the districts of Kotido, Moroto, Nakapiripirit, Katakwi, Kaabong)' - which I don't think covers Sipi (Kapchorwa, district?). A high school group from our town has just pulled out of a trip there and I'm due to travel next month (August 2014).

Does anyone have more information? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

Hi and welcome to the forum

No, you're right.

Email Consular.Kampala@fco.gov.uk and ask what the current situation is. I hadn't heard of anything specific in honesty.

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

Thanks. I have just done that and will post again if they reply with any new information.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
522 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

Sippi is very safe and you can travel without any problems. Good accomodations at sippi river lodge and more activities like Mt. Biking, Village walks and bird watching.

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

Thanks. I was there last year and felt completely comfortable - hence the return trip. It is a most wonderful place. But FCO advice changed on 10th July 2014 and I need to investigate why. Obviously I have asked them, but no substitute for local knowledge. Thanks for posting.

Kampala, Uganda
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

I was there last week for 3 days (Fri/Sat/Sun). Definitely no problems at Sipi/Kapchorwa since we trekked by foot almost around the whole area around Sipi.

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

Thanks Subhas D, no substitute for first-hand knowledge. :-)

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

This just in (23 July 2014):

Thank you for your email. We have checked with our Uganda desk, who confirm that neither Sipi, nor the county it is in, is in the red zone. However it does border the red zone.

Regards

Travel Advice Team

Consular Directorate

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Forest of Dean...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

But now this (25 July 2014)

We are writing further to our email of 23 July about the travel advice for Uganda. Since then this has been the subject of discussion with our Uganda desk and colleagues in Kampala. Uganda has seen a proliferation of new Districts over the years, with old Districts sub-divided into smaller, new Districts. There are political (electoral) and economic reasons for this.

So we are now writing to let you know that our list of countries in the ‘red zone’ against which we advise against all travel, does indeed include Kapchorwa. Our travel advice has been changed to reflect this.

https:/…uganda

Thank you for drawing the matter to our attention. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by our earlier reply. We are continuing to keep our travel advice for Uganda under close review.

Regards

Travel Advice Team

Consular Directorate

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Sipi right now?

The whole of Uganda is very safe, just did a safari to kidepo valley, I think the travel advise is just speculation

Reply to: How safe is Sipi right now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mbale
Recent Conversations
More Mbale Topics