We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Issan road trip!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Issan road trip!

I need some destination ideas for an issan road trip next year. We have 4-5 days and the travel books pretty much gloss over Issan. I am very familiar with the southern provinces, but would appreciate any suggestions. I want to visit the dinosaur park near Khon Kaen, and we like national parks as well. Thanks.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Issan road trip!

You've posted this in the Buriram forum (just one of very many Isaan provinces. You might get better responses in the main Thailand forum. Anyway here are some ideas:

Phanom Rung - Khymer city (Buriram) - there are about 60 Khymer ruin sites scattered around Buriram, mainly in the south of the province.

Khao Phra Viharn (actually just inside Cambodia) in Sisaket province. A major mountain top Kymer temple. I think it may be closed right now but worth checking on when you are in the area. Stunning views across the Cambodian rain forest. Sisaket is also where you can find Wat Lan Kuat, a most unusual temple made entirely from bottles.

Phu Wiang Dinosaur Museum Tambon Nai Muang, Wiang Kao district, Khon Kaen province. The area is full of dinosaur remains and is an important scientific area.

Chaiyphum is a sparesly inhabited province with natural forests, which include the Tat Ton National Park (217sqkm) and its famous waterfall; Pa Hin Ngam National Park with its strange rock formations, Sai Thong National Park (over 300sqkm) also with a 100 meter waterfall; and Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park high in the mountains - this park was previously the base of the Thailand Communist guerilla movement during the Vietnam war era, and its been preserved. The mountain top is often covered in mist and it hid the workshops, schools, hospitals and parade ground hewn from the rock.

This is just a small taste of the very many interesting and beautiful places in Isaan. A good finale would be a drive along the Kong River (in English its famously known as the Maekong).

2. Re: Issan road trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Buriram
More Buriram Topics