We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orgiva - info please!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Orgiva - info please!

Hi there,

I am looking at some good value villas near Orgiva, but the reviews of Orgiva itself are mixed. The villas seem to offer great value for money to go in June. I was hoping to hire a moped to get around once there. However, a lot of the reviews of Orgiva say it is dirty and unattractive. I don't mind a bit of scuzz but I would like to feel reassured that it's safe, especially if walking 10 minutes out of the town back to the villa.

Can people with experience please let me know what the honest picture is like? Should I avoid this area or just enjoy the villa itself and ignore the comments about the town?

Thank you!

15 replies to this topic
Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orgiva - info please!

It's not unsafe as such - the remarks are mainly to do with the amount of New Age Travellers etc, but actualy dangerous or unsafe, it's fine.

There are some great bargains to be had, the Alpujarras option is much cheaper than the coast, and often you will get better value for money. There are plenty of sites direct from the owners too with plenty of choice. Have a nice time!

Trevelez, Spain
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orgiva - info please!

Órgiva is Órgiva - nothing special there, not unsafe but you wont be able to hire anything in the way of moped, car etc. There are quads but they are only for controlled trips. What I dont like about Órgiva is tripping over grungies and their dogs while trying to enter the supermarket.

if you have no special reason for visiting orgiva I would avoid it and aim for one of the higher villages where it is higher, cooler (June in Orgiva is getting pretty hot), more attractive, more spectacular landscape etc. The busier villages like Capileira or Trevelez have as much/more to offer the visitor as Órgiva does in terms of bars museums, discos (dont know how old you are), hiking, restaurants and plenty of accommodation for hire.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 21:52
Granada, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Orgiva - info please!

I have lived in Orgiva for two years and have found it a very nice town.Very friendly people lots of bars ,supermarkets .

Only forty minutes drive from the coast and an excellent bus service to get you round the other villages in the Alpujarra.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orgiva - info please!

Hello there, I own an olive farm near Orgiva. I have been living around Orgiva for about 12 years. I don't find the town attractive at all these days, it is, as your other commentator said, dirty. It is not likely you will be accosted though or mugged. There are many "travellers" in the area who visit the town in a variety of outlandish and usually filthy clothes. As far as eating out, you will see almost the same menu at all the restaurants in the area, mostly fried or grilled food, there are two pizzarias as well. Good luck if you are vegetarian !

You will not get beer, you will get lager. I have no grievance against the place but , the novelty wears off quite quickly and I wouldn't advise buying someplace there. The difficulties encountered with the local town hall when attempting to legalise documents or get planning permission are beyond belief.

Good luck anyway !

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orgiva - info please!

I stayed in Orgiva a few years ago in a lovely finca but I would not go back. I did not feel comfortable walking around the town. A lot of "alternative lifestyle" people sitting around drinking all day. The town is scruffy. Just back from the alpujarras yesterday. Stayed in Mecina Fondales. Lovely! Also Bubion and Capiliera although both high up the mountains.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orgiva - info please!

I am staying at this villa in Sept. http://www.southofgranada.com/

It was recommended by a friend that had stayed there before. It's outside of Orgiva. Obviously I've not been yet, but am looking forward to it very much.

We will be doing day trips to Granada, the coast and also some of the towns up higher in the mountains. It seems to be a good location.

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Orgiva - info please!

I have been back to the Orgiva area four times now, the last time being in May/June this year.

Yes there are "grungy" types, but I have never felt threatened or unsafe they are simply living and alternative lifestyle.

I would happily walk around the town and back to my villa (about a 15-20 min) walk at any time of day or night.

Orgiva is small and limited in it's facilities but it is very friendly.

I don't agree with the person who said, "good luck if you are vegetarian", the market on Thursday has great vegetables and there are several health food shops.

Enjoy.

Leicester
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orgiva - info please!

We have had good experience of Owners Direct properties until this year when we chose a villa in Orgiva which was, we felt, substantially misrepresented in the advertisement.The swimming pool described as 'completely private for sunbathing": was , in fact,overlooked by two other properties and a public footpath! In a situation like this Owners Direct has no jurisdiction and renters are at the mercy of owners.

Orgiva itself is, in my view , a drab and workaday town without style and is just NOT a holiday destination.It is to Andalucia what Burnley is to Lancashire . There are infinitely more beautiful towns such as Bubion nearby, and with very good properties to rent .

Leicester
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orgiva - info please!

Just to elaborate on my previous comments abut an Owners Diirect property in Orgiva which was badly described by its owner .Despite taking this up with the owner and with Owners Direct we have no satisfactory answers.

.Beware PROPERTY S2774. which is nothing like its owner's flowery and down right misleading description

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orgiva - info please!

Owners Direct only sell advertising space - they have no responsibility for what the owners state in their ads.

Reply to: Orgiva - info please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orgiva
Recent Conversations