We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour in late December/January

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tour in late December/January

Hi guys!

I couldn't find a topic on here so I hope this isn't repetitive!

I am travelling to northern Norway in late December/ early January-

I was looking at doing one of those dog sled tours across Lapland starting in Karasjok.

Now my understanding is that there's actually no/ limited sunlight at that time of the year that far north and I'm just a little worried that the famous scenery that part of the world is known for won't really be that visible. I really want to go on this tour but am worried I won't be able enjoy all of what it should be.

Has anybody travelled this way at that time of the year before and can offer some tips from their experience ?

Thanks in advance !

Parlamento Sami de Noruega
Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings
Boble Glasshytte
Gift & Speciality Shops, Art Galleries
Turgleder
Sports Camps & Clinics
6 replies to this topic
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour in late December/January

Since you are thinking about to start the tour in Karasjok, then I guess it's the tour with Engholms huskies.

He has the camp there, so he probably run this tours all season.

If you take this tour when it's full moon, then you will get an great experience at this time of the year too.

If you want more daylight and warmer weather, then you should choose March/April...

Just think about the temperatures in Dec/Jan can drop down to 40 below...

Edited: 27 August 2013, 12:22
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour in late December/January

There is no real daylight in Karasjok and Finnmark at that time, although snow, moon and aurora may help.

Also be aware that this is the coldest part of Norway. Average temperature at that time is minus 15 C (0 F), be prepared for temperatures down to minus 30 C.

http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Finnmark/Karasjok/Karasjok~303806/statistikk.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour in late December/January

Hi there !

Thanks for your prompt replies !

I would love to travel in the warmer months but am over in northern Germany and Netherlands at this time of the year and don't see myself getting back to that part of the world for a while so will just have to put up with being cold!

Thanks for the tip about the moon- I will hope for a big bright night !

I was going to go on a tour with an Australian company I believe Nordic Travel, I'm not sure what camp they use, though.

Maybe I should just stay in Tromso and go on a day huski tour rather then stay in Karasjok and go on a four / five day one ?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour in late December/January

Yeah, Tromsø is a nice place for the New Years Eve, and there´s four dogsledding companies to choose between.

In Tromsø there`s also around 20 guides who chase the Northern lights, and over 50 companies who can bring you out in the nature, so...

Please check out http://www.visittromso.no for activities, accommodation and city life..;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour in late December/January

Thanks for the link !

I think that might be better to stay in Tromso, lots more to do and you're right I can always jump on a new tour each night in the search for the lights!

I've read it's better to go inland to see them so of the company's that travel there would be good.

In all honesty, judging the normal weather patterns at this time, do you think I'll get to see them ?

I know there's so many factors when it comes to seeing a show or not but curiosity is killing me !

Apparently there's a solar storm over the winter of 2013/14 and I'm hoping this increases activity !

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour in late December/January

It's a 50/50 chance that you will see Auroras dance, but how strong it will be when you are here nobody can tell...

Some nights there's no activity, so...

And please don't think so much about the huge solar storm warning, and that case this will be the best season, bla bla bla...

Because it's no matter here in the north because we are living under the band of the NL, and we are seeing some of her close to every night.

If you want to see her when the great storms arrives, then you can sit and wait in Hamburg, since that's what happen happen when it's a good one; You will see it further south in Europe and not here in the north.

Like what happen on June 30th this summer, someone caught pictures of Aurora Australias south of Perth, on 33 degrees south...

Reply to: Tour in late December/January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Karasjok