We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dawn Service 2012

Which Gallipoli hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
dawn Service 2012

We are planning to attend the dawn service in Gallipoli next April.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do it, or suggest any tour groups? How cold is it, should we take sleeping bags from Australia and throw them out afterwards(don't really want to lug them around Euorpe for the rest of the trip), or can we buy some when we arrive? Should we try and stay close to Anzac cove or just travel in for the couple of days from Istanbul? If we stay close by the service, do we need to book in order to attend? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

thanks

Western Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dawn Service 2012

Hello

We attended Gallipoli for the 2011 ANZAC Day and our tour company was a disaster. We had booked through an Australian Company called Battle Tours, Ausglobe Travel, to find that when we arrived in Turkey we were with a Turkish company called Travelshop. The problems started when they were not at the airport to pick us up as promised, and continued from there, being too numerous to mention here. After the Gallipoli Tour we had a private tour of other parts of Turkey with Turkish Company Bitinya Tours and they were fantastic. We hadn't realized that we could also have done the Gallipoli tour with them, thinking, for some silly reason, we needed to book that with an Australian company. If I was going again I would book the entire trip with Bitinya, who have a lot of experience at planning itineraries and booked Turkish Hotels for us that we were very happy with.

We took our own sleeping bags though the tour company did have some - I'm not sure what quality they were though. The night was absolutely freezing. If you want to attend the Lone Pine Service as well as the Dawn Service there is a lot of walking involved, so you soon warm up, but you have to carry all your belongings with you. It would be sensible to tour Gallipoli on the 23rd, as they close a lot of the area for security reasons on the 24th, which our tour company apparently didn't know, so we missed our scheduled tour on the 24th. Consequently on the 25th we were trying to look at cemeteries as well as get to services on time and we found that we couldn't do both, and we felt very let down with the whole experience.

Hope that's some help.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dawn Service 2012

leone, the following link may give you some tips also: "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…anzac_day.html".

good luck,

enigma...

Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dawn Service 2012

thank you all for the advice. Our travel agent is suggesting we go with Tempo Tours which does not depart Istanbul until 4pm on the 24th April, arriving at Gallipoli at 10.30pm. Everyone I've spoken to has suggested we get to Gallipoli early around 4pm in order to get a good position so a bit wary of this tour. The agent is checking if they have a designated area, as I don't want to sit out in the cold all night and not see or hear anything. has anyone done a tour with Tempo?

newcastle
Level Contributor
14 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dawn Service 2012

Does anyone know anything much about PP travel? I have booekd them for Anzac day at Gallipolli next year..

Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dawn Service 2012

Brooke, sorry can't help you, I've not heard of them. After heaps of research, we ended up booking with Crowded House Tours

6. Re: dawn Service 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:42
Get answers to your questions about Gallipoli