We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallipoli sign?

Which Gallipoli hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Gallipoli sign?

I am going through my photos of Turkey taken from the boat as we sailed from Canakkle to Gallipoli. In one of my photos there appears to be a red/white sign and a flag pole in the distance on the side of a wooded hill. It looks like a soldier. Can someone point me to a photo of that sign and what it says. Also where exactly is it?

Thanks

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gallipoli sign?

do you mean this one ??

http://www.gelibolu.info/images/duryolcu.jpg

In turkish;

Yolumuza devam ederken askeri birliğin hemen üzerinde tepede bir Mehmetçik silueti ile ‘’ Dur Yolcu ‘’ şiirini göreceğiz. Necmettin Halil Onan’a ait olan bu şiir gezeceğimiz yerlerin önemini vurgulamaktadır.

Dur yolcu! Bilmeden gelip bastığın

Bu toprak, bir devrin battığı yerdir.

Eğil de kulak ver, bu sessiz yığın

Bir vatan kalbinin attığı yerdir.

This is a simple translation with google translate

As we continue our military units on the hill just above the silhouette of a soldier's poem'' and'' Stop Passengers will see. This poem by Khalil Onan'a Necmettin emphasizes the importance of the place to visit.       

Stop wayfarer! Tread unawares       

This land, where an age sank.       

Down to the ear, the silent masses       

This is where the heart of a traitor.

Bing translate offers this; might be better

Continue our way on the Hill just above the military Union with a ' Stop ' ' Passenger ' Mehmetçik silhouette poem. Necmettin Halil Onan highlights the importance of this poem that belong to the necropolis of places.

Stop passenger! Unknowingly come bastığın

This is where a transfer of land, had set.

Bend over and give the ear, this quiet mass

Where the heart of the homeland.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gallipoli sign?

more info for you

…blogspot.com/-OCvHdcYV3T4/…dur_yolcu.jpg

www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1025671.htm

NZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gallipoli sign?

Thanks. That's the one.

Much appreciated. When we were there it was overcast/raining and so hard to get a good photo.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gallipoli sign?

Hi nz999,

your very welcome and glad to help..I know what you mean ..we visited that site in feb 2007 and of course the weather was not 100 % up to par..

5. Re: Gallipoli sign?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Gallipoli