We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

Thornton
13 posts
Save Topic
How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

I'm planning a vacation to the new Barcelo Cayo Santa Maria in January and have two young children. How long does it take to get from the Santa Clara airport to this area of Cuba?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

It takes 1.5 hours. You travel across the 49 km causeway to the cayos. Its a great drive during the daytime. Very eye opening.

Cheers

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

The bus ride is approx 90mins. It has always gone by fast for us. We get a cold drink at the airport and enjoy the ride. The scenery is nice along the way, and you also pass through a few towns which help pass the time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

It's 90 minutes to go to the Melia but add maybe another 10-15 minutes for the new Barcelo. It's further down the Island. And sometimes the bus will stop and drop off passengers to other hotels before getting to yours. It's a fun trip during the day but I might be long for children.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

We've done it with our son and it was fine, however I would offer the advice to use the bathroom at the airport before you leave!!! Then grab a couple of brews and enjoy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

Both times to Melia Las Dunas it took us 1h15m. The new Barcelo is right next door to the Melia. Won't take more than a few minutes more.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

Hi Mygirls,

The distance is about 107 km, The driving time is about 90 minutes Less if there no slowdown in the towns. Use the toilet at the airport as there are usually no facilities on the bus.

If there passengers for the Royal Hideaway, it stops there first.

I do not know about the Barcelo vis-a-vis Las Dunas. We are going Nov. 28. I shall let you then.

Stanita

Thornton
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

Thanks for the info. We decided against the Barcelo. Too many unknowns. We booked at the Melia Las Dunas. Can't wait.

8. Re: How far is Cayo Santa Maria from the Santa Clara Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:16