We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo - Phase 2

Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Barcelo - Phase 2

Can anyone tell me when the second phase will be complete - the brochure says March and mentions over 600 rooms -I assume this is not the case at the moment and that there are only about 300+ rooms right now? Would like to book Barcelo in July, 2009.

Thks.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

When I was there mid February, I was told phase 2 would be open in May. Right now there are 624 rooms. Phase 2 will add 686 more rooms. Next year will be 2660 and a huge shopping area/market in the middle.

Busy place. I saw 6 huge cranes going and a few small ones. It took me over 20 minutes to walk from one end of the resort to the other. Noise was not an issue from the finished area of the resort.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

We were there March 8-15 and from what we could see, the crains were not moving. IE construction in the 3rd phase was non existant. The second phase was up but im sure they needed to do electical and stuff like that. We did not actually ask anyone at the hotel when the 2nd phase would open, but it did look closer to done.

Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

Thanks OttawaPhil for the update. Hope to receive more updates from others upon their return. Was it very windy during your stay?

Blainville, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

Hi, came back two weeks ago and I sneak in phase 2 by the beach and in my point of view it is half done. Some buildings are painted and some are still on cement sate.The colors look very nice more like terra cota (lite yellow and green... ). I think it wont be finish for months.

Take Care

J.C.

Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

Hi ictcaro:

Really appreciate the update. I was hoping Phase 2 would be finished as we now plan to vacation in May.

I'm still worry about the wind. Was it windy when you were there?

Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

Hi ictcaro:

Thanks. Really appreciate the update. I was hoping Phase 2 would be completed as we now plan to vacation in May.

Hope you had a great vacation. Did you enjoy your stay at the Barcelo?

I am still worry about the wind. We are beach people and love walking along the beach and dipping in the ocean. How windy was it during your stay.

Blainville, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

HI, Who knows when it's going to be open? I think probably in July but could be earlier. Overall we had a very nice stay at Barcelo and concerning the winds we were ok. Had four calm days and three a bit windy. Never stopped us going to the beach. I herd that it is windy almost everywhere (Punta Cana, Mexico, Varadero). Just cross your fingers and hope for the best. I would think that by May or June it should be fine.

Take Care.

J.C.

Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

Hi:

As of this moment, I have not booked the vacation yet. If I do end up going, I will report back on Phase 2 and the wind condition to future travellers.

Thanks for your info.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

re: WIND

Beaches on the north coast of the Atlantic facing islands are in the path of the prevailing winds. That's just the way it is.

We were in Melia las Dunas in Dec. '08 and Punta Cana in March '09. In Cuba, there were whitecaps in the swimming pool on two days.. Punta Cana was sunny for the week, BUT the beach was red-flagged for five days.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo - Phase 2

RE: WIND

Just got back April 1.. our first week there was very windy and cool some days. Second week very little wind and lovely most days! I wouldn't worry about the wind...great for the Hobie cat, walking the beach was pleasant. Remember sunscreen!!