We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

I just love the suites and the site but will I be bored to death? I do want to rest and relax but I also want to be able to sit somewhere after the shows and chat with someone. Is it possible? Will I be able to choose some activities from the animation team or they tend to hide from people? (this has happened elsewhere...)

Thank you for your help, all your comments will be appreciated!

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

My Daughter and I just got back from the sister hotel "Sol cayo Santa Maria" and we met many solo travellers. We all bonded and had the time of our lives and most certainly were not bored. My Daughter did go to your choosen hotel to check it out and there was lots of action. Hope that you have a wonderful time.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

When people talk about action, it is usually the Melia Las Dunas which has a good reputation for its animation team, are you sure it was the Melia Cayo Santa Maria?

Thank you!

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

I honestly think it is who you connect with. I spent most of my day on the beach, but my Daughter hooked up with a few solo travellers and they were entertained big time, one of the gals hung out with the animation team at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria. As mentioned they did check out the Melia Cayo Santa maria and had allot of fun there. Keep in mind there are beach parties at both hotels and it is very easy to meet people and go back and forth. We just happened to connect with a bunch of fun loving people, but keep in mind my Daughter and I are very social and out going and were in a mind set to have a lot of fun.

I too have heard great things about the Melia Las Dunas, I believe Diva can fill you in big time about that hotel. The one thing I can say is that you do feel safe there.

Hopefully you can meet people here before going?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

I came back 2 weeks ago from Melia .It was my second time there ..solo ! And I loved it even more than the first time.There is always something to do ! You can take salsa lessons with Lily,play pool (or ping-pong) with Yoania! Do tai chi with Ernesto,or play tennis.Depends on what kind of activities you enjoy.

But sometimes the animation team cancel the program due to lack of participants.

The shows are amazing ! After the show you can go to the disco (sometimes open until 1:30,again depend on guests) ,or just enjoy a drink at the lobby bar.Many people tend to hang out there.

Have fun and enjoy your vacation :-)

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

Really? There are beach parties there and there is a disco at Melia Cayo Santa Maria? I did not know that. I sound worried but this will be my 7th solo trip and I have always met some people to hang around with. It is just I tend to think it is more difficult in a Cayo in the low season.

Thanks, this is exciting!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

I think you meet more single people in a low season,because we don't pay the single supplement then.

When are you planning to go? Melia will be closed for 2 months ..Sept and Oct.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

Yes I can honestly say that as a solo traveler you will have a good time. It does matter the crowd at the time to just how good a time you have.

That is good news about the MCSM closing for those two months. I will have to make sure we book early enough to get our favourite hotel the MLD.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

I was planning to go in September or October. There is nothing to that effect? It does say some restaurants will be closed for lunch?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

The whole resort closes for the 2 months.They are building 2 new restaurants and doing some renovations.They are hoping to be open around middle of November.

Right now the buffet is closed for lunch (it was open when I was there).

Grimsby ON
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a solo traveller?

Trip Central shows October 21st as last departure for the year.