We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Cayo Santa Maria

I was thinking of going to the Melia this fall. Other contributors on this forum mentioned that the hotel may be temporarily closing so I e-mailed the hotel. Here is the reply I received on June 11:

Good morning:

For the time being it is only a possibility that the hotel is closed in the months of September and October to build two restaurants.

J'de Reservas Cayo Santa María

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Booking there if they close would surely be a good thing, they would probable transifer people to Melia Las Dunas which is more expensive and newer. When where you planning on going Statboy?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hi statboy!

I just booked for the Melia for end of September. The travel agent said there would be construction going on and i'd be located as far from it as possible but if they do close, then i'll be moved to another equal or higher resort on the same beach! Fine with me. I go there for the beach so any of those hotels are good enough for me!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hey nadma

Glad to hear you're venturing back to Santa Maria. Are you booked at MCSM?? If they close maybe they'll send you to the HE, would that be nice. Kinda envy all you guys going. Our plans are 2 weeks next July/Aug/2010 for a special surprise. Can't decide though on the MCSM or the RHE. Both would service nicely. We'll talk again before you depart.

Cheers

Ontario
Level Contributor
424 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Bergerman -- if you're planning two weeks next year - have you considered a week at each ? just a thought !

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hola

We are heading back as soon as AT start flying for 2009/2010 season...in april the construction did not concern anyone at the hotel...why would it be closing down?...cannot see them closing, but it's cuba.

cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

I was there in May and they didn't start the noisy part yet ! But they are doing it now ,that's why they might use the low season (to close), to finish it up.Opening day (for the new restaurants)suppose to be Dec.09.

Let's hope ,they won't put the prices up :-(

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hey bergerman!

I'm looking forward to it! Yes, I realize they could close and that is than fine with me. RHE would be awesome!! But my guess would be either Barcelo or MLD. I think the Barcelo will have the new section opened by then!

So a special occasion eh? ;-) Sounds wonderful.

Ron!!! How are you? I can deliver more letters for you but if they do close it down, I won't be seeing any of them!! :-(

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hola,nadma

If melia is closing, which I think is doubtful, I'm sure it will be open Dec...The plan is Dec.Jan and April...if AT start flying early. Many thanks again for the letters.

Just got back from jibacoa one quick week, and a good price..first time with AC and it was great. No problem with flying from here then toronto..would do it again if the connecting flight work, but would not use two different airlines time line is just to great...

cheers, Ron

ontario
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Hi Statboy

Just saw your message about the possible temp closing of the Melia. Just booked it the other day for end of Oct. Being a novice to travel do you think it s wise to talk to my travel agent and switch hotels now if possible or wait?

Thanks

Heather

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria

MCSM is indeed closing September 1 - November 16, 2009. We will be 2 of the last to leave before it shuts down. This will be our third trip to MCSM in the last twelve months and look forward to returning after the renovations are completed.