We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access

We are going to MLD Oct 24-31 and have a question about internet access. The brochures say internet accesss is available for an additional cost. Does anyone know how much we are talking? Also is it wireless? We were considering bringing our own laptop but don't know if this is necessary.Although we will be there for a family wedding we still need to keep on top of business while we are gone.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Access

its around 10CUC for 1 hour as for wireless forget about this also best thing for you leave the laptop at home .

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access

Definitely no Wi-Fi access at the hotel so you can leave the laptop at home. The internet used to cost 6 CUC's for 30 minutes back in 2008.

Diva Gateshead is there at the moment and posting most days so you could PM her and ask for details.

It's her birthday today so maybe she will be online later today.

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Access

Thanks for your quick response. We have not been to Cuba before but go to DR during winter. In the Dominican each resort is different; some have wifi and some give you access to a few desktops.We will leave the laptop at home and hubby will work a lot less.!!!Sounds great to me.

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Access

Happy Birthday Diva Gateshead!!!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Access

northshore..,it is also dial-up,can be very slow at times,so to be forwarned .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet Access

just returned from MLD 2 weeks ago and although I did not try to access the internet a friend of mine did and it took 30 minutes just to load her gmail inbox page! It is dial up only in cuba. If you must access the internet, be very patient as sometimes it doesn't work alltogether!

Enjoy your vacation!

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet Access

We were there Sept/09, and my wife had to keep in touch with her business via internet. What a shock to waste that much time to retrieve emails. I believe the half hour card was $7.50 CUC and it normally took her 25 minutes to log in and then only had 5 minutes to work. I would strongly suggest to leave it alone and just enjoy the holiday. Her world blackberry with Telus also did not work down there.

By the way, when you pay for the internet card, they really demand cash and then they hand over the card. You never get a receipt and I don't see a cash register anywhere.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet Access

"... By the way, when you pay for the internet card, they really demand cash and then they hand over the card. You never get a receipt and I don't see a cash register anywhere..."

Yet another commission scam, unfortunately...

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet Access

I wouldn't actually expect a receipt. Surely there is a check on the number of cards issued and the money would have to tally with the number of cards issued on the day.

This is Cuba though, so maybe not!!

10. Re: Internet Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:17