We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Waterloo
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

I have been to the Melia in Santa Maria and it was wonderful with spectacular beaches. I was just wondering if there is much difference between the beaches there and those in Cayo Largo.I don't see how they can get any better than Santa Maria. Largo would also be cheaper but flight times not as good and an apparent stop in Santiago De Cuba.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Never been to Cayo santa Maria, but the beaches of Cayo Largo are INSANE! Playa Sirena is on a different Planet!

What's wrong with Stopping at a different airport, on the way. The way I look at it, is you'll get a small look at another place in Cuba.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

We also have been to Cayo Largo and the beaches there are awsome....You will not regret it ....We stayed at the Sol Cayo Largo..

Safe Travels....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Hello

We have now been to both places:

Sol Cayo Largo -Jan 2008

Sol Cayo Santa Maria-Jan 2010

They are quite similar with long walks to be had on white sand beaches. Cayo Largo is flatter and easier to walk in most places. Snorkling to be had at both. Also C/O beach area at both, as well, near the Sols. Be aware it can be windier at Santa Maria and beach face is northerly, Cayo Largo seemed to be calmer and beach face is southerly.........Water is crystal clear and sand goes on into the water forever.

Both Sols are very similar with decent food, rooms good enough for the short time you should be in them and very good staff. Very spread out for only 300 rooms each. Lots of walking. But that's okay......

Both are very quiet!

Can recommend building 38 at CL and building 28 at CSM

Going back to Sol Cayo Santa Maria in 2 weeks on 17 March...good deals to be had out of Calgary! Hope weather is a bit better than in January.

Best thing about Cayo Santa Maria.........you don't have to go thru PET airport in Montreal like we have to for Cayo Largo! It is the most traveller unfriendly airport in the world!

Direct flights from YYC to SNU......good times too!

Greg

Cochrane, Alberta

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Never been to CL but the beaches at CSM are the most beautiful i've seen. It is true though that in certain times of the year it is very windy (Jan to Apr mostly).

I have been around in this forum and other for a while and I've seen many reviews from people that had been around in Cuba and other caribeean destinations that said CSM had the best beach. Who knows!

The beach itself isn't wide and sometimes uneven because of the waves in windy days but the water is crystal clear and the sand is like a white powder and you can walk for 11km one way! no trouble finding a spot on the beach that is quiet with no one else around.

Of all the hotels though, the barcelo has the best strech of beach, widest, flatest and very slow slopes into the ocean with sandbankshere and there! Fantastic!

There is also one or 2 sections of that beach that is for nudists.

Sigh, can't wait to go back in April!

Brampton
Level Contributor
983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Sounds beautiful....

My husband has been to Cayo Largo and said it is the nicest beach he has ever seen. This will be his and my first trip to Santa Maria. Who know's, maybe he will think its nicer.

Waterloo
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

Thanks to everyone for their imput. I have one more question about jellyfish. Having been to the Cayos of the north shore and dealing sometimes with fairly large numbers of jellyfish I was wondering if Largo has the same problem. I have also seen a few in Holguin and Varadero but nothing like Cayo Coco and Santa Maria.

clinton,on
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

We have been to Cayo Largo 3 times and CSM 3 times. We love the beaches at both places and actually found this time that the beach at CSM seemed to be harder packed and more like CL than the last time we were there. Cayo Largo beaches are usually much narrower but less crowded. Both areas you can walk for miles. I would say that the MCSM is the nicer hotel. We usually go to CL but we didn't like the flight times and CSM I have not seen jelly fish at either place.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

We have been to both and all I can say is that the beaches are fantastic, period. Different, but both offer long solitary walks, peace and quiet, crystal clear waters, wildlife. If you like C/O, you will probably find CSM more relaxing as it is much roomier.

We are headed back to CSM on April 25,.Would have been just as happy with CL but it was not available to us in that timeframe. We enjoy the laidback air of the Sols in both locations.

The snow is blowing around outside my window, but I just booked today!

Cheers!

Bruce

9. Re: Cayo Largo or Santa Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:17