We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diva is back home.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
diva is back home.

Lots to tell you all, fantastic time.

Give me a few hours and I will start telling you all.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diva is back home.

and we're just going out june 3rd for 3 weeks! looking forward to your comments diva! carol e.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diva is back home.

I am sorry to say that there is a lot of scams going on.

I dont like to say this in open forum but it maybe the only way to stop it.

The fridge fillers are selling the wine, cava and coffee to the room occupants.

The way to stop it is when they ask if you want some wine and stuff say I will check with the client relations as I was aware the wine and stuff was part of the package.

They soon hand over the stuff.

On our last day I saw them, two any way, they had bum bags and I am telling you the bag was FULL of coins.A nice little earner for stuff that should be given out.They were selling wine for 4 cucs , cheap white rum for 5 cucs and cava for the same.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diva is back home.

Diva Welcome back as for them selling the wine and coffee well as we say Cubans learn fast as when i hear peopel say i give the guy 5 CUC to have some extra beer on my fridge well guess what this stuff is free as i allready paid for it so why pay the guy once again and then people wonder why there fridge is empty .

Since we started going to Cuba i never tip these guys for what to open my door and put 2 cans of soda or 2 beers in the fridge and if they leave none there are other places on the resorts that i allways can get my stuff as the only person who will get a tip when going to my room is the maid which we allways tip when i have a clean room .

So no wonder some resorts have a shortage of wine as i would never thought Cubans would steal from the resorts no kidding LOL .

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: diva is back home.

Hi Diva! Welcome back! I hope the last week went well.

As for the scamming... It's really bad!!! I just can't beleive it sometimes... You give a great advice to prevent it. As a rule of thumb, every one should remember that it's an all inclusive, so things should be free, and it should be an exception if you have to pay for something. Never pay for anything if you don't see the prices posted somewhere in the hotel. Remember that the Cuban governement has consumers protections regulations just like ours, and prices has to be posted.

I did not experienced that scam, but on a trivial note, I had some really good chocolat in my room, which slowly desapered during the week, even though I was not eating it... I had a good explanation with the maid about it...

Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: diva is back home.

Ha Ha Gengen,

You have not heard of the Man from Milk Tray!!! He come to MLD:

www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=n1pg1zpNgB0

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diva is back home.

Diva, hi

Hope you had a lovely time despite discovering the scams. It does cloud things for a while though, doesn't it? We had a great time, sad to be back although this amazing weather helps a bit.... sitting in the garden with a Cuba Libra, with my eyes shut, I can just about kid myself I'm back there!

Nickie

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: diva is back home.

sloppykissy

Ha ha, nice one! A blast from the past for us oldies!

Nickie

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,224 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: diva is back home.

Sorry to hear of the scams diva. You, and Gat0, are quite right. We should NOT be tipping these guys that restock the fridges because most of them will get you any drink if you tip them well enough and they are stealing it from their employers..

This scam has been going on for years. I'm sorry to have to say this, and at the risk of upsetting a lot of people, but most resort workers are theives. If they are not stealing from the resorts to sell to the tourists they are stealing for themselves to feed their families or to sell on the black market.

A good friend of mine has just been sacked from a hotel for taking out pork meat, 'They' were unlucky because 'they' were caught. Stealing is rife at the hotels and many of the security guards are in on it too.

Yes I'm sorry to tell you that your best friend at the resort is probably a thief, too.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: diva is back home.

Oh I have been aware of the,''see such and such for this or that'' but this time it was more in the open.

The day we saw the bum bags they had christ knows how much but they were heard rattling in the next block to us.

I am in the middle of the washing so my day i the sun has to be put on hold.

I hate a full washing basket.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,224 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: diva is back home.

Diva:

What was this post all about? BTW I'm in Darlo at the moment!! Maybe moving up to this neck of the woods.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g670039-i12236-k…