We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

Edinburgh
6 posts
Save Topic
Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

Hi Guys,

Going to the Barcelo in September and after checking almost every review the one thing that seems to crop up was the awful bus ride.

Now from what i see it takes an hour and a half (which is less than my commute to work). Is the bus really uncomfortable with no A/C or something?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

The bus is modern with comfortable seats and A/C. If you do the ride in daylight it is quite interesting. Travel after dark, of course, you don't see much. The only people who seem to find the trip interminably long are those who have tanked up on beer.......some buses don't have washrooms! (some do, check before you buy your cerveza!)

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

Havent done it to the Barcelo but done it twice (and back) to the MLD next door - it is a good trip - on the way there they will explain all about the Cuban culture and point out things of interest along the route.

Whilst it can be a bit of a drag as all you want to do when you get off the plane is collapse into the bar, it is not unpleasant and a lovely way to see some of the countryside.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 12:02
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

The bus you have is comfortable, A/C and very interesting.,

We have been to that Cayo now over 18 times, and when there many times on and off the Cayo.

The trip is only one and a half hours.

You get a good chat from the tour guide, gives you information that is interesting and in some cases you need to know.

The only reason it is so long, as the airport is just over 110ks away, is the speed and condition of the roads.

Honestly it is not as bad as most make out it is.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

I have been to the Cayos 4 times now and enjoy the bus ride every time ! I wonder if the people who complains about it know, that the staff of the hotels travel there back and forth every day ,to serve us, entertain and make sure we have wonderful vacation. Many of them live in Santa Clara,and it take them up to 3 hrs to get to the hotel ,as the bus stops at all the small towns on the way, to pick up more workers.And many times their bus is not us comfortable as ours (not all of them have AC).

So if the ride is too long for some people, maybe they could look in to another place for holidays, bacause the causeway is there to stay (and it won't get any shorter !) :-)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

The bus ride is part of the holiday..

I admit its not like going up and down the M6...but you are not in the UK.

The causeway road is a new road...but alaso not a Little Chef in sight !!! lol

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

..... Nor Macdonalds!

Edinburgh
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

Gutted about there being no Little Chef :P

Thanks for the input people, I mean if the transatlantic flight is going to take ,what 10 hours then surely an hour and a half means nothing. Especially from what you're all saying it is seems quite scenic and interesting.

I guess some people though are never happy..

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

The flight is between 8 1/2 to 10 hours . The times depends on the route they take, regards the jet streams and all that.

Yes it is well worth the trip.

Grin , and you will, and bear it.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

Yes it is facinating getting on the bus to the resort, passing old cars, people on carts drawn by anything 4 legged...the houses that the people live in are not wimpy standard, but I am sure that last time I was there I saw the odd plasma tv set in the houses..lol

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus ride from the airport to the Barcelo

How long does it take for the taxi to get to the resort and how much is it?