We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Failure to Read

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Failure to Read

Perhaps if Sunny411 had bothered to read the reviews of the past several years, she would have not have complained of the following:

"You need to know the following: 1) Bed matresses are hard springs 2) Stained bed sheets 3) Rooms have musty smell 4) Food quality is ok to good but poor variety 5) Restaurants & buffet have flies landing on food & birds have access to buffet 6) Drinks are served in small plastic disposable cups 7) you may have to walk up to 0.5km to get to destinations within the resort like the beach or buffet 8) Theft of towels in pool area is common & will cost 15 pesos to replace 9) the resort has a DJ playing the same loud dance music everyday on the beach for most of the morning 10) Late check out is difficult to obtain & is usually granted on the day of departure 11) The acoustics for the evening shows is deafening 12) The resort grounds are fogged for insects daily in the morning which can make breathing outside of your room difficult until the smoke clears"

Every one of the items mentioned above, has been well documented in previous reviews. As far as the birds go, any resort with an open- air restaurant has the sameproblem.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Failure to Read

Which resort??/

Safe travels...jimmy

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
688 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Failure to Read

jimmy_sea: Melia Las Dunas.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Failure to Read

How many out of the twelve are a lie?

You are just assuming this person reads reviews. What if they found out about TA while down there?

Edited: 10 June 2010, 23:00
NA
Level Contributor
549 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Failure to Read

stanita:

"Perhaps if Sunny411 had bothered to read the reviews of the past several years, she would have not have complained of the following..."

The good news is that those who read reviews going forward will be aware of those matters.

Irie

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Failure to Read

I'm curious about this point:

10) Late check out is difficult to obtain & is usually granted on the day of departure

It's always been my understanding that late check-out depended on availability (i.e. tougher to get in high season), and that it's always confirmed on the day of departure. Is that not standard procedure in most Cuban resorts?

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Failure to Read

Irie: good to "see" you here!

Your favorite journal writer.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Failure to Read

Keeping in mind a review is based on a personal experience of a resort, even if you go to the same resort a few times within a year, each experience is different and some services are either added or, cut back on, pending on the time of year that you go.

To be honest I have never gone to a tropical place where there are no flies, mozzies and birds in an open restaurant, come to think of it, right here in Canada if you have any dining experience outside during the Summer you get the same thing.

Ironically some of the things that one person can complain about in a review is the very thing that will attract another. Cuba is not for everyone; Thank-heaven for that.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Failure to Read

I have found many/most matresses in Cuba to be quite hard and not have all the padding we are used to. I could be wrong, but I've assumed a lack of padding to decrease the ability of critters to live within....fine with me. In my experience, I may have have imbibed somewhat that day and don't really care what I'm sleeping on in the long run.

Rum...the great sleep equalizer!

jejeje

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Failure to Read

I already had fun with this one on another thread....guess nobody noticed, so I will repost here....

I read through the points and found myself nodding my head and saying "that sounds pretty much like every place I've been in Cuba"

To wit: "1) Bed matresses are hard springs " uh huh.

"2) Stained bed sheets" Seen that too.

"3) Rooms have musty smell " Yeah, it's summer. In the tropics.

"5) Restaurants & buffet have flies landing on food & birds have access to buffet " Oh yes, flies & birds. Seen that too.

"6) Drinks are served in small plastic disposable cups" Pretty much everywhere.

"10) Late check out is difficult to obtain & is usually granted on the day of departure " SOP, everywhere I have been.

"12) The resort grounds are fogged for insects daily in the morning which can make breathing outside of your room difficult until the smoke disipates." When you hear that sound, run like h*ll!

Sure does sound like a resort (2, 3, 4, 5 star) in Cuba!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Failure to Read

eeeefarm, too true

I read all the reviews by that particular OPer and thought the same....get over it people, you are not getting a Simmons/or whatever Beautyrest mattress for the hotel in Cuba...or pillows...bet grateful you get a "fair" (European/US) mattress.

Not GOING to happen! If you think you are getting better elsewhere, good for you. Some hotels offer a bit better, but really, you ain't gettin a Sealy!

There are BIRDs, LIZARDs, etc. in the tropics! They are not trained to stay away, unlike wild things in "wherever". I routinely get dive-bombed by birds at my resort. They never touch you. I guess those are 3 star birds. how would you like them to get rid of the animals? Gas em, that's how it happens there.

If the only place you like is overseas, do not come to Cuba. There is an Embargo - not EVER going to be the same as anywhere else on the planet!

I understand there is a personal perspective on this, but don't expect the world will be the samewhen you travel from one place to the next in the world, some are are the "have not".

Edited: 11 June 2010, 02:50