We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Essex
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Has anyone recently heard anything about when they are changing the Melia Cayo Santa Marie into a family hotel? We have booked for September next year and chose this hotel because it Adults only and Thomsons are still selling this holiday as an Adults only hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Hola

Yes, they are planning to change MCSM this year back to a family hotel.....

From what my friends are telling me who work at the hotel, once the new hotel is complete(past the sol), the melia will become once again a family hotel.

There goes the neighbourhood.....lol

cheers

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,174 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

In all the reports I have heard, and read it says after the TC season 2011. It is due to change once the Paradisus is open, and that is due next year. But don't forget , times are Cuban.

See two responses and not the same. So who knows for sure?

Edited: 23 August 2010, 17:31
northern ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

mcsm is changing to family nov 1st/2010 as stated on air trans-at web site

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,174 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Over the past few days I have been doing test bookings for the 2011 TC season, May to October.

I have included a child of 6 to my search. In all my requests I have never been offered the MCSM as a hotel. They are still selling it as Adult only for 2011.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

I tried it on a couple of Canadian travel sites. They're allowing bookings for children after November 1, 2010.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Wow... I hope anyone who booked the MCSM in 2011 because they want an adults-only resort will be properly advised by their travel agent way ahead of time, and offered a free upgrade to the Paradisus or a new destination...

I would be mighty upset to book an adults-only resort and find out only upon arrival that it had become a family resort...

I'm not sure how credible Canadian tour operators are when it comes to dates, they usually seem pretty optimistic...!

MarlinEssex - have you talked to your travel agent to see what your options would be if the MCSM is no longer adults-only? I'd be interested to know their answer.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 17:00
Essex
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

Hi CayoLargo 2,

No, I have not been in touch with my Travel Agent yet, but will be doing so. Will let you know the outcome. I will not be very happy if it has changed, as we specifically wanted al all adults hotel.

Marlin

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

I have just tried booking a Thomson holiday at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria on Sat June 11th next year for 2 Adults and 1 child and there was no availability, yet as soon as I removed the child from the equation I was able to proceed with the booking.

When trying Thomas Cook for Saturday May 11th from Manchester all four hotels showed for 2 people but when I added a child the Melia Cayo Santa Maria didn't show but the Sol,Las Dunas and the Barcelo all were bookable.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

So it would appear from this that the UK travel agents are still selling it as an adult only but the Canadian ones are selling it as a family resort.

That should be fun next year when people arrive and find the truth. Canadian 'families' and English 'couples'!!!!

Edited: 25 August 2010, 09:40
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Cayo Santa Maria change to family hotel

I must admit I wouldn't be pleased if I'd booked it as Adults Only, yet on arrival found kids there.

My advice to anyone thinking of booking who definitely wanted to be sure it was Adults Only would be to get your travel agent to confirm with the hotel, via your tour operator, the exact status of the hotel before you book and have it in writing, just in case.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 09:47