We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone convince me that going to Cayo santa maria is the right decision.

In 2007 we were in Varadero and had a horrific time.

We have never had a bad holiday before this or after.

Cuba has never been on the list to go back too.

Can anyone give me a good reason to come back.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 03:08
Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Why was your vacation to Varadero so horrible?

Why are you considering CSM? If you are looking for a totally quiet holiday on a fantastic beach, CSM is for you. If you prefer smaller hotels, the Melia Cayo Santa Maria would be perfect for you.

Another great spot to discover Cuba is Holguin, but it all really depends what kind of vacation you are looking for, and what it would take for you to have a good vacation.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Nope, go back to Punta Cana - save yourself the grief of having to write another really bad review...

Edited: 18 January 2011, 03:18
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

You either love Cuba or you don't. Why sweat it, go elsewhere.

BTW, I was in Cayo Santa Maria last week and LOVED it. I'm sure that there will be bad reviews posted from people who were there at the same time.

My next stop is Samana.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

hey jakeandme

my wife and i said the exact same thing after coming back from cayo coco six years ago.

the funny thing is that in those years we have travelled to the domincan several times and mexico a few times and often compared those beaches to cuba, the beach was by far the best we have ever seen.

as for pricing cuba seemed to be the best value by far ... we also get concerned about the weather since it can be cooler than some of its tropical neighbours.

that being said we were really intruiged by this island, it gets awesome reviews for the most part off tripadvisor, which is really rare as most use the advisor to complain ...

we are totally going into this as lets give cuba another shot and hope that we are pleasantly surprised ..even if we have to wear sweaters on the beach ....lol better than shovelling snow :)

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Samana's beautiful - go to El Portillo, north side. Great beach and snorkeling!

Cambridge
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

hey traveldouga

we are going to the melia cayo santa maria next week and was curious to know if the pool is cold

thanks

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Reading the Varadero review, and the types of things that made it a "horrific time"... sorry, have to agree with Oncearound, you'll likely be disappointed again...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Hola

Ok, not to roast anyone here, but how many times does this pool thing come up...yes the pool is cool if the temp outside is cool, and yes hot if the temp is hot.....Last trip in dec. the temp was very cool..guess what..nobody in the pool....when it got warmer a week later..yes, you guessed it..the pool was full of people....lol.

Have been many times to MCSM, it's great, however many do not like it....It's great for just R&R...low key place...and not like Varadero that is for sure.

Owen Sound, Ontario
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Cool pools, having to rent the bicycles, it will be a "horrific time". I can't wait to get there in four more sleeps to see how bad all the small stuff is. I just hope the sand is not too hot and they all speak english.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need convincing!!!!!!!!!

Hola

You forgot the part of no bottle water(this is from a new review)....It will cost you 2 cuc's in the store....OMG,,,,2cuc's.lol

Do not forget the fights on the beach for the shade...that is always fun to watch..kind of cheap entertainment....but makes for great pictures...lol

cheers