We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

This is a bit of a strange one! We're staying at the Melia Las Dunas next month and we were talking to someone who has stayed on mainland Cuba. She said there were loads of big spiders!! Is this really the case? What are others experiences of insects? This has got us worried lol

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

I'm sure there are lots of both spiders and insects there, but I haven't seen any the last two years while I was there, staying at MCSM. They usually spray to keep the insects controlled.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,075 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

I've seen more spiders in the summer in the UK than I have in 36 visits to Cuba.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

Totally agree with bellagio - I've seen far more, and far bigger spiders in my own house than I have during any of my trips to Cuba!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
908 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

You should have no problem in Melia! spiders an insect are everywhere in the world!

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

I've seen more spiders in my garden over the course of one summer than I have in 5 trips to Cuba.

I really wouldn't worry about it you'll probably see more geckos than anything else.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

When we last stayed at Melia Cayo Santa Maria I watched one of the gardeners chop the head off of an 8 foot long boa constrictor with a machete that had wandered onto the resort grounds. That was a shame as I'm sure this beautiful snake could have been captured and relocated to a local nature reserve.

Terry

7. Re: Daft question! Is there lots of spiders/insects in Cuba??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 06:20