We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

Barnet
Level Contributor
191 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

Be very careful as several people were charged for overweight cases at the airport yesterday - 2kg over resulted in a charge.

By the way 20cuc for the vip lounge is well worth it.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

Good warning again. They are keen at all airports in Cuba over the excess weights.

Some days they are spot on and others they are carefree.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

People were charged coming back from Holguin on my flight on June 26th. It's quite a common practice at Cuban airports.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

July 1st, while checking in for my return flight at Santa Clara airport, they told me i was 1kg overweight ( i knew i was as I had weighed it before at hotel). They said there was a charge. I asked what the charge was and he wasn't sure and everyone was too busy for him to ask so he ended just turning a blind eye.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

On my last trip from that airport, my hubbies cases weighed 21 kilos and mine magically 26.

Now I know they were both well under 20.

They went to collect the man who charges you.

I challenged him and all of a sudden his hand cancel the weight on scale and said no problem and bags went onto the belt to load on plane.

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

I always carry with me my digital scale. At the hotel, I check the weight and place the scale in my suitcase. I make sure it's easily accessible...just in case. It's the best 20$ investment you can make.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

Yes I have a digital scale as well, that how I knew the weight of cases.

It is so strange that when challenged the weight soon disappears.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

That is a great tip ombrelle/diva! Thanks. It is always wise to weight your luggage first. I always do using the scale at the hotel. In my case, no surprises, I knew i was 1kg overweight but I've heard too many stories of "tweaked" scale from other tourists. When you know your luggage isn't the weight they say it is, it is a great idea to have the digital scale on you, easily accessible to challenge the weight! And like in diva's case, have all the extra weight disappear!

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

Last year a family with 2 teenage sons were under going out and coming back they were 12kg over, they said they left their sunlotion etc at the resort, I told them to ask for another check, sadly they had already paid by the time I had a chance to speak to them. I got my digital luggage scales from Tripp in Cheshire Oakes and they were about £14

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

We tend to wrap our suitcases up with plastic wrap for extra security, been doing that since we found out about the pencil trick on this forum.

Would the digital luggage scale fit in your carry on and is it very heavy?

Does anyone know where you could purchase one in Canada? Sounds like a terrific investment to me. Thank-you for posting this thread.

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santa Clara airport - overweight cases

The luggage scale I have is small enough to fit in a purse. Should be able to buy one at any luggage store or perhaps even Walmart.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria