We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about airport arrival.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Question about airport arrival.

Hi:

I understand that there is a place to exchange our money just outside of the airport after arriving. Just wondering if it is okay for my husband to go out and exchange the money while I wait for the luggage or do we both have to get our luggage in case Aduana wants to search it? If it is okay for him to go out without our luggage can he come back into the arrivals area once he's done with the money to help me cart out the luggage or is he not allowed back in once he has exited?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!

hfx
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about airport arrival.

with most airports you will wait for your luggage after security. If one of you can handle both bags (they probably have luggage carts) , have the other go to exchange some $, but check with your bus first (might not be enough time if you are the last folks waiting for bags), once you leave arrivals you can't go back in. If you are the first through security, and first with bags, there should be lots of time to leave arrivals, check with bus, get $, and buy a few cold beer. it all depends how those variables line up. You can always exchange funds at the resorts, although the exchange might not be as good. but your in Cuba. tranquilo

Edited: 30 November 2011, 13:17
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,332 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about airport arrival.

Once you have left the arrivals , you can not return.

There is always plenty of time to exchange, unless you , as a couple leave with bags last.

Even if that happens, by that time , the queue at the exchange will be nothing, so exchange away.

If your fellow travelers can not wait the couple of mins for you then boo hoo sucks to them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about airport arrival.

hfxJohn

" You can always exchange funds at the resorts, although the exchange might not be as good. "

===========================================

Not always the case. The cadecas(exchange booths) at resorts are virtually the exact same rate as the airport. Now if we are talking reception at a resort with a cadeca, I agree rate will be very poor. They exchange at a reception desk mainly for convienence when the cadeca is closed, thus the higher rate. Gotta pay those employees somehow...LOL

Cheers

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about airport arrival.

Hi:

From what I understand, the MBV doesn't have a cadeca, only the front desk to exchange money. This is why I'd rather do it at the airport. Hopefully we won't be the last ones with our luggage so the bus won't have to wait.

Thanks.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about airport arrival.

"If your fellow travelers can not wait the couple of mins for you then boo hoo sucks to them."

With all due respect Diva this is a total pet peeve of mine. Why should a whole bus wait for one person to exchange money, I think it is beyond rude to others. Nobody wants to sit on a hot bus after a 3+ hour flight, going through the airport lines, and not to mention just want to get their vacation started. I personally have waited for over a half hour for a couple and trust me there wasn't a person on the bus who was not ready to kill this couple. Money can easily be exchanged at the resorts or a nearby bank, to make people wait for the sake of saving a few cents on the dollar is absurb in my opinion. Needless to say it was an uncomfortable ride for that couple, hope the few dollars they saved was worth it to them. Just my opinion.....

Edited: 30 November 2011, 16:59
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,332 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about airport arrival.

So the last person has to suffer and not get money because their luggage was last through?

Unfortunately , in life some one is in the front and there will always have to be catching up the rear.

What goes around !!!!!

The rates at the airport and hotel is the same.

If the hotel does not have an exchange then do they have to suffer for the sake of letting a few people wait for them?

hfx
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about airport arrival.

to echo the second last comment, I was finishing at the money excahnge at the airport and the bus fellow came in to departures and said 'bus is leaving', and it was. We all hopped on the bus. I hate to keep anyone waiting.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 17:05
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about airport arrival.

Would I be wrong suggesting that guests at the MBV can hope the shuttle and drop in on the MCSM and use their cadeca?? Would be interested to hear from someone whos been at the MBV and exchanged at reception and compared rates. I was under the impression that if a resort 'DID NOT" have a cadeca reception would be the same as a cadeca.

Cheers

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about airport arrival.

Diva: Me and my girlfriend were actually the last ones off the plane literally. And to answer your question yes I do think it is fair that they miss out. I don't think it was fair to me and everyone else to lose 30 minutes of our time and our vacation. Add that up between all those who were waiting and that is a lot of time for the sake of a few dollars literally. It is not our problem that there isn't adequate time to change money at the airport. It is unfortunate for them but nevertheless it is just the way it is. I'd love to have a nice meal at the airport but should people wait for me to do that? Just saying.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about airport arrival.

I have to agree with Diva on this - the last person shouldn't be hurried onto the bus because they were unfortunate enough to be last! They are as entitled to change money as the first out of the airport!! We sat for 90 minutes in the bus at the airport one year - because someone brought a baseball bat!! Customs had a great time with that!!

You're on vacation - chill out!! :)

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria